I want to start biking

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by BigPaul, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigPaul

BigPaul New Member

I decided to stop being a fat ass back in November of 08. As of this morning I have lost 45.4 lbs. I have gone from almost passing out after 5 minutes on the elliptical to regularly running on it for 30 to 45 minutes. I'm getting in shape but I still have a long way to go.

I live less than a mile from my work and when it starts to warm up outside I'm thinking about getting a bike. My question for you guys is what is a good bike for a fat guy who is trying to get into shape?

Thanks,

P.

2. jdm-cd5

jdm-cd5 Guest

id focus more on your diet if your main goal is to lose weight. Not saying biking is a waste of time either. It's good for burning off those extra calories if you have trouble eating clean. As far as a bike for a big guy, just go to any bike store and try out a few. I'm sure someone there can point you in the right direction.

3. knucks

knucks Active Member

How much do you weigh?

4. posit

posit New Member

I bike at least 3 times a week, 8 miles a ride. I weigh over 330 and use a bottom of the line trek mountain bike. When I get below 280 I have a Klein road bike I will use. Depending on your weight finding a suitable road bike can be difficult, mountain bikes are a lot more heavy duty and can take the abuse.

5. BigPaul

BigPaul New Member

I'm 347 as of this morning.

6. Daria

Daria New Member

Are you planning on biking on pavement/gravel most of the time, or are you also planning to go offroad alot?

7. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

get a hybrid

8. BigPaul

BigPaul New Member

Mostly pavement/brick/gravel... I really just want to ride from here to work (less than a mile) and back.

9. rOOster14

rOOster14 New Member

i would advise going to your local bike shop and scoping it out.
    that said, being a bit of a cyclist myself, i agree that a hybrid or fitness bike would be perfect for you.
    the bike is going to fit you based on your height for the most part, i would recommend being willing to spend about 500 or so dollars on the bike as this will get you something that is going to certainly hold up. Just about every major brand will carry a lifetime warranty on the frame and several others will have some sort of warranty to couple that.
    check out,
    www.trekbikes.com
    www.fisherbikes.com
    www.cannondale.com
    www.specialized.com
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/

and go here, www.bikeforums.net if you have any more questions. feel free to pm me too. good luck and awesome job thus far!

10. knucks

knucks Active Member

I will call my buddy at the bike shop and see what he says. Honestly, I have never met anyone that heavy, so I don't know what can handle your weight. More than likely you'll need touring-type wheels (40+ spoke).

edit: Just called..

You don't want to go less than 36 spoke, double-wall wheels.
    A hybrid would be fine, so would a mountain bike with a front suspension fork. I'd recommend a steel frame because it can handle a lot more abuse.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  11. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

If it's less then a mile just walk. Spending a bunch of money on a good bike that can handle the abuse of your size for a mile bike ride seems a bit dumb. :dunno:

12. BigPaul

BigPaul New Member

Thanks!

13. BigPaul

BigPaul New Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm gunna have to find a bike shop around here.

14. BigPaul

BigPaul New Member

I'm going to be getting rid of my truck, so its not really dumb. I can probably get 6k for the truck, spend $500 on a bike, put the rest in the bank and then on the days that I don't feel like working out I have no choice but to get in almost 2 miles...

15. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Do you have another car or do you live in an area where having a car isn't needed like NYC?

16. BigPaul

BigPaul New Member

I have another car, its my wife daily driver. but I live in a very small town. so I do not really "need" a car.

17. knucks

knucks Active Member

Good for you man. I hate driving.

18. knucks

knucks Active Member

19. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

gotcha...I was just wondering what was going to happen next winter when it was cold and you didn't want to ride/walk to work....

20. rOOster14

rOOster14 New Member

there is a lot of stuff out there with the major companies that will not put a weight limit on their stuff, so it is a good idea to go with them.
    for example, if you buy a Trek, and it has Bontrager wheels, they have a 5 year warranty on them from the factory, so any major issues with them is going to be taken care of for that 5 year period.
    as for frames, all of those companies pretty much have a lifetime warranty on the frames.
    i dont know what your mobility is like, but you can also look into the lower step versions of bikes like the Pure, a lot of this stuff i think will get addicting and you will find yourself getting a new bike, losing a ton of weight and looking for something new in a while, check the clydesdale forums, happens all the time. best of luck, :hsd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.