I want to share folders across the internet... What Software/Operating System do I need?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Vatoloco, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Vatoloco

Vatoloco In a pinch, though, you could jam it into someone'

I need to setup a server so that three different people who are spread all over the U.S. can simultaneously access some of the shared documents and shared printers on that computer.

Basically I want to share quickbooks data, outlook data, and some miscellaneous documents.

What kind of software would I need for windows xp to let me do that? Or do I have to install some kind of confusing as hell server software to do it?

2. Chris

Chris New Member

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

You'll need FTP or web server software. You could do it thru a VPN connection but I don't know of any software VPN solutions, I've always used hardware . . . Why share from your home computer, why not upload it somewhere and let them DL it nightly or something?? Will they be adding or modifying it??

4. Vatoloco

Nah, I don't want to pay for it.

I'm finding free stuff like foldershare.com but I'm not sure that would let me have something like QuickBooks running in a multi-user environment.

5. Vatoloco

Yeah, they'll be modifying the data and it needs to be synced between everyone.

I also want them to have access to print on my home printer.

6. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

You should look into a software VPN solution, I'm sure they are out there, you're gonna want something secure (obviously). The other ends will need broadband or faster internet access as well. They'll basically connect to the internet, connect to your VPN server using their VPN client and they can map to your comptuer and printer just like you were sitting in the next office. I do that from time to time to the office from home here but like I said, the other end is hardware based . . .

7. Vatoloco

I asked in another thread and got a recommendation to use Hamachi. It's free, so I'm messing with it right now. Hopefully it will do what I want.

8. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Windows XP has VPN capabilities built in. Just make sure you forward the correct ports on your router (if you use one). I set up a VPN to allow access to Quickbooks files located on a desktop running XP at work for my coworkers when they are at home or on weekends.

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm Set up Server

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm Set up Client

Then, just share the folders you want others to have access to, just like if they were on the LAN with the server.

9. Vatoloco

:cool: I'm not sure if that will allow more than one connection at a time though.

10. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

www.hamachi.cc i'd guess it's not the fastest solution out there, but it's just like people that are on your network are sitting on the same router as you.

11. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Tell them to take turns.:bigthumb:

12. Vatoloco

I kind of like it so far... I actually think it is better than using the VPN built into windows because when I connect that way, my IP address changes and I'm suddenly downloading all my internet shit from a different ISP.

With hamachi, I keep my own IP address when I'm browsing web pages and everything.