I want to make a program for fun..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Jun 23, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

I've taken a few intro to programming classes, and I've messed around with Visual Basic, C++ and Java, all on the introductory level. I want to make a program that scans through my music folder, finds different file types and duplicates of songs, giving me the option to delete (in this case) all my m4a files and duplicate mp3s of the same song. (iTunes really fucked my shit up.)

I've messed around A LOT in visual basic out of all the languages I know, so I'd really, really like to do it in that. I'm fairly good at VB considering I'ev only taken an intro course.

Is this something that I'd be able to figure out through google and tutorials?

The parts I'm unsure about are scanning the folder for the file types and then comparing two identical files. For comparing two identical files, I think there's a way to compare them to see if the contents of the music file are the same even if the names are not?

What do you guys think? Is this something that wouldn't be too hard to figure out for me?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Code:
    for /r e:\mp3 %%i in (*.mp3) do (
    	for /r e:\mp3 %%j in (*.mp3) do (
    		if not "%%i"=="%%j" (
    			fc "%%i" "%%j" /lb1 > nul
    			if not errorlevel 1 (
    				del /p "%%i"
    				del /p "%%j"
    				)
    			)
    		)
    	)
    Change your path names as you see fit, as well as the extensions to be searched. Remmeber this has to be an exact match - two different rips of the same song will have two differerent file makeups.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Fuck, I almost ran that. But then I realized I have identical copies of all my music on two backup drives.

:eek3:

:mamoru:

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Meh - it prompts you to delete both copies