I want to lift my truck.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dirteemac, Dec 13, 2002.

1. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

Suspension lift, plus some new rims and tires. I just moved to la sos I don't know where anything is around here. Can someone reccomend a place to go to in La for this stuff? That's Los Angeles, BTW, thanks in advance.

2. dirteemac

I got a stRanger, yeah I know, but I don;t want to install it myself.

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

most shops wont install a lift do to liabilty

what type of lift do you want body or suspension

4. dirteemac

Suspension. I got a quote yesterday from 4 wheel warehouse in Burbank. $4300 for 7" lift plus new 33" tires and 15" rims...

5. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Thats not too bad considering you're getting wheels and tires as well. But I must ask, why 7"? Is your truck 2WD?

6. dirteemac

Yeah, its 2wd....

7. shupach

shupach Guest

u gonna take it out onto the dunes?

8. dirteemac

nope...

9. dirteemac

I was wondering when somebody was going to flame me...

10. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

At least you take it well. Sorry I brought up the 2WD thing. I was just curious about the large lift, look what I started.....

:slap:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:big grin: :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: :big grin:

11. dirteemac

Yeah I know I have a stupid truck, but it runs and I can't complain about my gas milage. I thought I might make it look a little nicer with a lift and some bigger tires, but Im also thinking I might just save money and buy something new next year...

12. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

I seriously thnk you will be a lot happier if you do that and get something 4x4, if you are into trucks and want to buy another one. Once you do some real offroading its pretty addictive and fun. If you don't need to have a pickup I would suggest a jeep since they all have solid axles font and rear besides the liberty and have so much aftermarket stuff its crazy and they are some of the cheapest vehicles to modify.

13. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

if this truck isn't really what u want save the 4300 and go trade the truck in on a 4x4

14. dirteemac

Interesting.... thanks for the reponses. So what's the best 4x4 truck to get? Seems like the F-150 is the best value. I dunno about dodge, and chevy looks over priced...

15. DetR6oit

DetR6oit New Member

If you are gonna mod it, lift it and offroad it and want something fairly new, 94-2002 dodge is the best. Reasaon one being the solid front axle. It will be cheaper to lift and preform a ton better ofroad than the others. Also the 5.9 in the Dodge is a better motor than the 5.4 in the ford. Another reason is the interiors on them are a little nicer and have a TON more room on the inside. I used to not like the Dodges before a friend got one and our buisness got one (already have a Ford) and now I really like them. They really grew on me. Our Dodge that we had got totaled though and now I can't stand going to work in the ford. (the ford is the previous body style though)

How new do you want to get?

16. dirteemac

I like the F-150.

17. 88ranger

88ranger Guest

what do you want to do with it? rock crawling or jumping some sand dunes? if you want to jump with it the ranger has the best front axel for it check out www.offroadranger.com they have quite a few people from cali on their boards... if you wana rock crawl you need a 4x4 for that, best bet would be to get any kind of jeep... cant beat a solid front axel for crawling

18. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

The F150 is a great truck, I have one. The 5.4 engine has more hp than the Dodge and Chevy(before the new trucks came out in 2000). I have the 4.6 which has been a great engine. If you want to put a lift kit on the F150 get ready to pay some money. Due to the IFS it will cost over $1K. Thats really the only drawback. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. If you wanna check out a good F150 site go here www.f150online.com

19. dirteemac

Thanks fot the info. I'm also starting to like that new Silverado SS.

20. dirteemac

In the end I think I will just end up upgrading to a new Ranger with a 4.0 V6 and four wheel drive. It's all about gas muilage...

21. BoostedTsi94

BoostedTsi94 Guest

You do realize that 4wd or 2wd your gas milage will go down considerably with 33's. going to 31's from a 225 tire you lose almost 4 mpg. With a 33 you won't get but maybe 11 mpg around town and not much better on the interstate.

Forget gas milage when lifting is a secondary issue.

Also you're going to need to regear. I don't know what gears you'd need for 33's on a ranger. I believe those have a ford 8.8 rear end in them. But I really don't know about the gears.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2002
  22. dirteemac

Um no, if I got a new Ranger then i'd probably just leave it stock.

23. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

what about a ZR2?