GUN I want to learn the fundamentals without developing any bad habits

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

What's the best way to learn the fundaments of shooting an AR-15 and also what is a good way to ensure that I don't develop any bad habits?

I've been to the range a few times now and when i'm shooting i'm just constantly thinking to myself if i'm doing this right, or doing that right, etc. and really just have no idea if i'm doing something the wrong way or not and it's frustrating.

I have no access to any NRA instructors or anything like that, so i've got to learn all this on my own.

Ideally, I would like to show up to boot camp already being able to shoot expert and not have any bad habits that I developed on my own.

Any good books or anything I should buy?

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If you're going to boot camp, it'd probably be best to not try to learn any shooting before you go. (Well, learn pistol, cos they don't teach you much of that.) If you try and impress them with what they haven't yet taught you, you'll likely just get singled out.

What part of Florida are you in? There are 1-3 day classes you can take all the time in GA or FL for $150-300.

3. Fidel Castro

Fidel Castro OT Supporter

What range have you been going to?

4. Accord

Accord New Member

It's too late to just forget shooting since I already own a Bushmaster, heh. I don't necessarily want to learn everything but instead and more importantly I just don't want to develop any really bad habits and whatnot.

I'm in South Florida.

5. Accord

Accord New Member

Markham Park.

6. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Or he can just make sure he goes to Boot Camp and keeps an open mind during training and doesn't try to impress anyone by doing stuff he hasn't been taught yet. :dunno:

7. Accord

Accord New Member

Definitely, i'm very open minded and if a Marine Corps PMI that tells me to do something i'll definitely do it without hesitation. I'll definitely be more familiar with the rifle than other recruits that's for sure, but that won't change anything for me and i'll pay attention and do everything i'm told just like everyone else. I just don't want to develop any bad habits that might be very difficult to get rid of and fuck me over.

8. Accord

Accord New Member

Thanks a lot for the advice :bigthumb:

I don't want to give up shooting though, I still want to go to the range and shoot my Bushmaster, is this okay? Should I go to the range and JUST SHOOT without really worrying about form, technique, etc. etc. so I don't develop any bad habits?

9. Accord

Accord New Member

haha, yeah you're right i'm definitely not going to stop shooting no matter what. But I will try and do everything in my power to make sure I don't develop any bad habits that will follow me into the Corps.

That's my biggest worry, showing up to boot with all sorts of bad habits and the PMI's wouldn't be able to beat the bad habits out of me in time.

There's a SFDCC match this Tuesday at Markham Park, I wonder if any of the experienced guys there would be willing to take some time to show me some of the basics and fundamentals to get me headed on the right track.

This DVD looks pretty interesting, 4 hours of actual instruction from real USMC PMI's. Think I should get it? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001DB6GI/002-0292334-0328840?v=glance&n=130