MIL I want to learn the fundamentals without developing any bad habits

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

What's the best way to learn the fundaments of shooting an AR-15 and also what is a good way to ensure that I don't develop any bad habits?

I've been to the range a few times now and when i'm shooting i'm just constantly thinking to myself if i'm doing this right, or doing that right, etc. and really just have no idea if i'm doing something the wrong way or not and it's frustrating.

I have no access to any NRA instructors or anything like that, so i've got to learn all this on my own.

Ideally, I would like to show up to boot camp already being able to shoot expert and not have any bad habits that I developed on my own.

Any good books or anything I should buy?

2. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

The best shots were people that had not shot before. The logic behind this is that if you follow the instructions then you will do good. Do not let previous shooting habits corrupt you.

The most important thing is ZEROING YOUR WEAPON.............Do not leave the zero range until you are perfecting happy with your zero and shot group.

There is some tips you should know. If your shots are high and low then that is a breathing issue. If they are left and right then that is a trigger pull issue. Always shoot on the exhale and do not hold your breath.

I would say the only prep you need to do is to be able to remain calm while firing. If you can stay cool, calm and collective you will shoot expert.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm fucked :o

4. Accord

Accord New Member

5. Accord

Accord New Member

OH FUCK, I meant to post this in the Weapons of Minor Destruction forum....... RangerAO can you please move this thread to that forum?

6. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

i will say this, Sometimes you can be too gung ho. Watch it but just realize that you have to be open to instruction. If you think you know already then you have already lost. the big thing with any bootcamp is to be able to learn. I would say that the only thing you need to prep for is PT. Everyhting else is about listening and following instruction.

Jsut relax and enjoy your time home. Do your PT and be ready to learn. There isn't much you can do to make basic less hard or less crazy. PT is really the only that you can do before hand and that gets sqaured away in boot.

7. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm definitely open to instruction and absolutely would never go in there thinking I know it all (even though some of you guys on here might think otherwise about me :rofl: )

It's just I bought a Bushmaster to have some fun with and I just don't want to develop any bad habits with it that would have to be beaten out of me at boot by the PMI's.

8. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

would be better to get it from the barracks crew

most of us in the WMD forum have our own style

exhale 1/4 breathe sqeeze in the 2nd quarter of the breath blah blah:o

9. Socrates

Socrates New Member

WTF? Weapons of Minor Destruction?

You have Marines in here silly, and some of us are experts :naughty:

10. Roshambo

Roshambo Yes, I'm a Marine. No, I haven't killed anyone.

Like whats been said before if you go down there and pay attention and listen to your PMI and coaches you will have no problem qual'ing, let alone shooting expert.

The hardest part for me was staying awake at the circles just because once you sit down it's hard to stay awake. I got hooked up alot that week. ;)

11. Accord

Accord New Member

Share some of your wisdom :x:.

12. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

well, something that will actually help you prepare for boot, other than PTing, is getting those damn general orders memorized BEFORE you get there. I sure wish i had.

13. Capitals

Capitals Guest

just wait till you get to boot.

14. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Man you will have tons of class time on it.

Enjoy snapping in. :o

15. Accord

Accord New Member

Too late :o

16. Accord

Accord New Member

I've already got all the knowledge stuff down.

17. Capitals

Capitals Guest

BS. that dosen't matter. i had them memorized and it made no difference.

the shit that sucks about bootcamp you can't prepare for. you can be fucking jacked like vin deisel, know all that gay moto knwoeldge, be a fucking sniper on the range but boot will still suck.

it's all about the games. your best bet right now is just to ENJOY yourself and be ready for a change. relax while you can because it's going to be a long time before you get another break. boot -> soi/mct -> being a boot in the fleet. it's all stress. yeah you'll get a little leave inbetween but from the time you goto bootcamp until you pick up corporal you're going to be dealing with stupid fucking games.

so stop studying, stop trying to prepare for somthing you can't and just chill.:hsd:

18. pakman

pakman New Member

When the hell are you leaving for boot? I've been on this board for the majority of my 14 month deployment, and you've been DEP or what the fuck ever the entire time. Like everyone said, just fucking PT and go to boot. All the other shit you will learn there, besides PT, there is no preperation needed for boot.

19. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

You are going to be "that guy" at basic.

20. Accord

Accord New Member

I only depped in like ~2 months ago...

21. pakman

pakman New Member

I can see it now, Drill Sergeant's lil' bitch :mamoru:

Seriously though, try not take boot so seriously. It's just a shitty summer camp with a bunch of 18-19 year old immature fucks. That's all. What matters is whatever happens afterwards.

22. Accord

Accord New Member

I bought a Bushmaster AR-15 to shoot for fun, I didn't buy it to prepare for boot camp or anything, but learning the basic fundamentals and whatnot beforehand would certainly be nice. I just don't want to develop any bad habits with it that will follow me into the Corps and fuck me over.

Is there an official Marine Corps marksmanship manual or guidebook that outlines the basic fundamentals and principles and all that good stuff which I could buy/download? If someone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great.

Everyone is telling me to just enjoy life right now and relax while i'm still a civilian, well this is my idea of relaxation :bigthumb:.

23. brackac

There is a 95% chance that I would beat your ass in basic training.

24. Accord

Accord New Member

See, it's stupid ass replies like this which is why I asked Ranger to move this thread to the WMD forum where I originally intended to post it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  25. brackac

I was being serious. You are that guy everyone hates in basic training.