MIL I want to join the Military...but I have a pending felony conviction

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mk3, Jun 21, 2007.

1. mk3

mk3 77 PPTA

Basically it has been my plan to join the Military this Fall for a while now. I am not 100% on which branch yet, but I am 100% on wanting to join.

Last week, on vacation, I got pinched with a small amount of cocaine. I have a court case on the 27th of August.

I want to know if I am found guilty, will I still be eligible to join any of the branches?

I haven't talked to a recruiter or a lawyer yet...

2. s3rca

s3rca New Member

talk to a recruiter and lawyer . thats the best advice i can give you .

3. Kazzander

Kazzander I only got this for the search.

Former recruiter checking in --

You can get into any branch of service with one felony conviction -- whether they want to bother with it is entirely different. The Air Force is probably not going to bother; the recruiter will probably tell you that they can't take you. What he means to say is that they won't take you. The Army and Marine Corps are your best bet for getting in.

In addition to getting copies of all your court paperwork, you're going to have to go get at least three Letters of Reference. Here's a few tips to get the best reference letters, and thus increase your chance of being accepted:

--Choose three people that have nothing but glowing things to say about you. These references need to make you look like Jesus, an Eagle scout, Jim Thorpe, and Mr. Rogers all rolled into one.
    --As an addendum to the first tip, make sure you choose three references that can write clearly and intelligently. The decision to allow you or not allow you rests with one person -- the commanding officer that's going to put his signature to it. Even though it's not supposed to happen this way, he can decide not to allow just because he thought your reference letters were written by uneducated hobos.
    --You aren't allowed to use any relatives or clergy members as references. They are assumed to be biased, and their write up will be ignored; it will also make you look dumb for having tried it. Your recruiter will encourage you to get a former teacher, especially a sports coach or principal, and former employers/supervisors to write your references.

There's lots of other things that have to be done for you to get in, such as a drug screen (urinalysis) which you must pass. Unlike other applicants with no declared issues, there is a 100% chance that your urine will be tested. If you know you're not clean, wait until you are. A failed piss test at the MEPS automatically puts you out of the game for at least 45 days. There's also a Drug Use declaration form, where you declare all the illegal substances you've ever used. I'm not going to tell you to lie; that's for your conscious to decide. However, I'm going to tell you something that most recruiters won't tell you: No matter what anyone says, no matter how much the MEPS liason intimidates you or threatens you with scary talk of imprisonment and fines for being caught lying, if there isn't a piece of paper somewhere that details your use of a particular drug, they will never find out about it. Period. That is, of course, unless you are dumb enough to open your mouth and say something.

Your high school grades are included in a felony waiver package, but they're unchangeable history, so don't worry about it. They're either good, which will help your credibility some, or they're not, which will hurt it pretty bad.

The last thing you need to do is some volunteer work. It doesn't matter where or who for, just so long as it is not for profit, and it clearly gives back to the community in some way. Get whoever is in charge to document it for you in some way, and keep a copy for yourself. This is to help you look better in the eyes of the reviewing officer.

These are the most critical things in a felony waiver package; everything else is details that your recruiter and your recruiter's NCOIC will handle.

When your recruiter tells you that you're going to be speaking with anyone higher up in his chain of command, look the part. After all, this is a job interview. It doesn't matter what your reference letters say, you're not going to be taken seriously if you show up wearing sandals, board shorts, and a tank top. At a minimum, a collared shirt, slacks with a belt, and good shoes. Recommended? Two-piece suit with belt and good shoes, a real tie with tie clasp or tie tack. No matter what you wear, you must shave. You're not allowed a beard of any kind in the military, trimmed moustache only, now's the time to look the part. Get a fresh haircut, brush your teeth, trim your nose hairs, clean under your fingernails, use deodorant, and clean underwear (I only mention it because experience taught me that if I didn't, motherfuckers would actually show up in dirty underwear). Remove all body piercings and jewelry. Everything, and I mean everything, you say ends in sir (or ma'am if you're talking to a female). Unless you are specifically asked for an explanation of something, your answers should be short, usually just a yes sir or no sir. Don't give more information than the question asks for; this is what kills most interviews. All of this stuff might sound trivial, but the first 90 seconds that you're sitting in front of anyone who has a say in your approval or denial, that's what they're looking at, and they can and will bias their decision based on how you present yourself.

Wow, this came out disjointed, but it's all good information. If you have any other questions, let me know.

**Real Edit #1** The last week of every recruiting month (ask your recruiter when their end of the month is), be prepared to leave at a moment's notice. Waivers like this that would normally be denied will magically be approved at the end of the month -- the prospect of making mission will "open the floodgates". The catch is that you have to be ready to go as soon as the recruiter calls you. It could be 9:00PM on a Friday night, and you're in the middle of your regular poker game with your friends. It could be your mother's graduation from college. It could be a loved one sick in the hospital. If you don't go, you won't get another chance. Commanding officers don't like it when they go through the trouble of granting your waiver, and then you make excuses why you can't make it. Be prepared!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  4. Zee

Zee New Member

Hope you are found innocent :x:

5. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

seems to me if he found a real good lawyer and they approached the prosecuter early with intent to join the military they might be able to work out a deal and avoid a felony conviction.

6. Kazzander

Kazzander I only got this for the search.

This reminds me of something else. If you reach any kind of deal with the prosecutor/judge concerning your sentence, or if your probation officer cuts you loose from probation early, your paperwork CANNOT say anything about it being for the purposes of joining the military. If it does, it's automatically mandatory to wait until the normal term of probation would have been completed.

This means that if you are sentenced to six months of probation that ends next January, but the PO decides to let you go today, you will have to wait until January anyway if his release statement says ANYTHING about joining the military.

7. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

yay druggies in the military!!

8. Zee

Zee New Member

Shit there is enough of them....legal (sanctioned by the military) and illegal

9. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Probably

10. HatShapedHat

HatShapedHat Active Member

news flash...not everybody in the military is clean...i've talked to many people i've gone to school with who picked up certain habits while IN the active duty army

11. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

:ugh:

12. XeoBllaze

XeoBllaze ﬞ_ﬞ ★★★ (o'-')-0

The USAF with the current force shaping will not accept people with a felony... The army on the other hand will :)

13. disgusting

disgusting is this a girl or a guy? b/c i got a hard on OT Supporter

all them soldiers from vietname, yea, they started smoking the dope