MIL I want to join the Air Force

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Toogie, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Toogie

Toogie Guest

As an officer.

I graduated magna cum laude from a prestigious university with a double major. I am 21 years of age and I don't think I have a problem with the physical requirements as I swam competitively and am a healthy 6'1, 165 pounds.

I've taken some tests and my aptitude seems to be for being a fighter pilot.

I know it's hard to become one but do you think I have a shot?

Also I am personally against THIS war, but not against duty. I think it's very noble for someone to fight for their country. However, I won't have any hesitation carrying out orders.

Oh and I know it won't be a walk in the park. I'm sure I'll be stationed sometime in Iraq, Kuwait, or some other zone like that.

Any feedback would be appreciated, I did a little research on the subject myself already.

2. gotta enlist first

3. Toogie

Toogie Guest

I have to enlist as a grunt before becoming an officer? That's not what it said on the site. Please explain.

4. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

:ugh: The Hell are you talking about?

5. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

if you're dead set on navy/air force planes then pass OCS and TBS first and then worry if you'll have a shot at a slot.

if you're more flexible with helos/rotors then talk to a marine or army recruiter and you can be flying "something" within a year.

if you really want fixed wing and don't care, again, pass OCS and TBS and then worry if you have a shot or not.

6. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

7. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

Oh and your eysight either better be real good or you should be a prime candidate for prk or whatever the fuck they are doing now.

8. Toogie

Toogie Guest

Guys I don't know any of the lingo you just mentioned. :mamoru:

Mind helping a military noob? I always thought my path lied in law or diplomacy, so I really never bothered to learn that kind of terminology.

9. Toogie

Toogie Guest

10. Toogie

Toogie Guest

This question wasn't answered, but since I want to be an officer, will they still shave my entire head? :(

11. Toogie

Toogie Guest

I was just joking, it was simply meant as a term of endearment. :love:

12. Toogie

Toogie Guest

LOL, it's just a joke mang. Although I think anyone who has hair would rather have hair then not lol. :hs:

13. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

go to an officer recruiter and talk to him. write everything down because if you're smart enough to get a double major at 21 you're obviously smart enough to study up and do your homework on some shit.

learn about JAG and pilot programs THEN come back and we'll nitpick and tell you the real shit about everything. other than that this thread is pointless.

14. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Print this thread and bring it to the recruiter. :mamoru:

15. Toogie

Toogie Guest

Yah I DEFINETELY heard about writing everything you hear down and to be careful of selective hearing. Also when you do go about getting a contract, have everything written down and locked tight.

Thanks guys, I'll schedule it soon. :hs:

16. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

He will be flying heavies to and from Iraq. C5Load watch out, you may be flying with this guy. :noes:

17. James Williams

James Williams New Member

My grandparents retired out of Travis and watching those big bastards fly is pretty entertaining.

I would be so lucky to be able to fly those.

18. Eng

Eng New Member

HAHA, you would be very unlucky to fly em. The wierd part is I knew a guy that had the same name as you that worked on C-5's but he got out early

19. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

magna cum loudly?

20. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

They(the Air Force) aren't really taking people in as officers after college unless you have a professional degree- i.e. enginnering, heath care etc. I'm not sure what it's like now, but not too long ago in AFROTC it was hard to get contracted without a being in a professional degree plan. A few semester back before then, they were almost throwing contracts to anyone who was involved in AFROTC, as long as you had a 3.0 GPA.

I had a 3.75 GPA in Journalism with a minor in Computer Science. I'm in excellent physical shape. They didn't really want to even look at me. The Air Force, at the time, were having a hard time getting rid of a bunch of people they didn't need. They were forcing people into early retirements.

I don't think too much has changed. Oh yeah, I remember talking to an enlisted recruiter, because they don't have an officer recruiter around the area. He was telling me to just go ahead and enlist because with my college degree it will be really easy to get into a bootstrap program and get a commission. :rofl:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005