SRS I want to help someone I know who is an alcoholic.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ticallion, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Ticallion

Ticallion OT Supporter

I'll just dish out some facts about someone I care about, and perhaps someone who has dealt with this can help me pursuade this person into taking action.

1. Drinks a 40 of vodka every two days. Previously, it was a bottle of wine per day, but the person claims that wine now makes them feel ill. Yet Vodka seems to be a better choice :ugh: .
    2. Drinks before work, right after work, on the weekends, in bed, on the phone, in the shower, pretty much everywhere at anytime.
    3. This person has a long distance relationship with someone who drinks casually. The both have alcohol dependencies, and both have admitted it in emotional breakdowns -- yet, they both refuse to take action.
    4. They have a heart condition, which strictly dictates abstaining from drinking alcohol.
    5. This person has sustained personal injury as a result of drunken falling.
    6. Eats barely anything. One meal on a good day, most of the time, absolutely nothing. Alcohol is the main source of nutrition.

This habit is beyond unhealthy and I have a genuine concern for the well being of this person. This person's doctor has been made aware of their condition, and has strongly advised her to take action, yet this person still refuses.

More recently, the person has begun consuming alcohol before driving to work, or to appointments, or errands. This problem has been there for about 2-3 years, and is becoming worse and worse.

**NOTE** As a result of this, there has been financial reprocussions in the form of priorities... ie: alcohol before groceries. The person is not at all abusive, and is very good hearted, even when drunk. Worst thing about this is, they have a child, and although their child is older, they are being neglected emotionally. "lack of care" so to speak. This person would rather drink and spend hours on the phone with their SO than to spend five minutes with their kid.

Hoping OT can help :wavey:

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I guess it may depend on how close you are with this person. I would say it sounds like this person definitely needs a detox and a rehab program. I've heard of people doing interventions. You can collect this person's other friends and sit down to tell them how you feel.

Basically, you'll probably end up giving them an ultimatum, and saying if they want you in their lives as friends, they need to try to do something about their problem. It may not work now, but eventually the intervention may kickstart some motivation to get sober in your friend. It's probably already there, but it just may need a jumpstart.

3. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

its ok to confront them, but remember, you cannot make anyone do anything. and if it fails, dont beat yourself up about it.

you dont have to power to make them stop any more than you could make them start.