I want to have two users using 1 Windows account

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrBrotato, Dec 5, 2008.

1. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Ok, so me and my wife both use the same computer. For a while I had setup different accounts but we both access the same pictures and music so it wasn't really convenient for both of us. I setup shortcuts that went to the same pictures and music for both accounts but it doesn't work as well. So now we both use the same account but what bothers me now is not being able to "remember me" on sites like Facebook, Myspace, email, Youtube, etc.

Is there anyway we can have separate user accounts that share the same My Pictures and My Music folder? Or for both of us to use the same account but better separate out browser stuff like user accounts for the browser that determines which home page to use and who is logged into where?

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Never messed with separate accounts, but an easy way to get around you online loggin issue is to get a finger print reader. The microsoft one works pretty good and you just give it your usernames and passwords for the sites and when you go to login all thats needed is a touch of the finger (it will differentiate between the two of you).

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Have one of you use IE and another use a different browser? That will keep the internet info separate, if you will share the user account.

If you want to keep the music and pics stuff common and use 2 different login accounts, move the My Music and My Pictures folders from the default My Docs location to the C: drive. That way both of you will be able to access them.

BTW, I used to have the MS fingerprint reader and it was pretty cool...

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Grab a copy of tweakui and alter the location of the My dDocuments for the two accts and point them to the same place ... then have the two separate accts so the 'remember me' stuff will work ...

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

No need for tweakui. Just right click on my docs, go to properties and you can redirect it.

6. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

If all you need is to have different "users" for the web broswer look into firefox. You can have multiple profiles. Just set two icons on the desktop, one that launches FF with one profile (your wife's) and another that launches yours.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles

This way you don't have any of the over head space / memory of having multiple users.

If you need other stuff suported, you can redirect my docs/music/whatever to any folder you want. Permissions might get strange though, I'm not sure how strict MS's will be out of the box.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Just make two user accounts, and put your shared documents in the...get ready..."Shared Documents" folder.

8. deusexaethera

What? Really? Are you seriously concerned about the extra 10MB of space it takes to store an extra user account?

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

+1

10. twinkycowboy

twinkycowboy New Member

Another option, depending on how many pictures/documents/etc. you're looking at sharing, is to dump them all on an external hard drive. You can set it up as a networked drive and give both user accounts access to the drive.

11. zanyspy_dude

zanyspy_dude King of teh n00bz

no, but the ram could get really fucking annoying. I must say I don't run windows except for tv usually, but on linux other users can seriously fuck up my performance if they leave shit running and i log in.

12. deusexaethera

1. So shut off Fast User Switching.
    2. The OP is not running Linux.