MIL I want to get out, but am afraid to.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SHIFT_blue, Feb 16, 2006.

1. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

Hey guys wassup.

Ive been wanting to get out of the military pretty much since I got in 2 and a half years ago. The more bullshit I have to deal with the more I want to get out, go home, and get a normal job.

I keep telling myself hey it'll bet better, and thats what everyone always says. But its all been a shitball rolling downhill from the start.

Anyways to the point of my post. Im afraid of the transition to a normal job back home. Afraid that I wont be able to find a job and I will run out of money while I search for one. Or afraid that Ill be stuck with a crappy low paying job.
    But even at least then the BS factor and being overworked without getting payed compensation wont be happening.

Some more info about me. Im 22, I signed for 6 years in the AF (sigh). I am currently in the sweatshop of Kadena AB, Okinawa. Im an AGE mechanic (Ive never been proud of it). I have 3 years here in Okinawa then one year left at a stateside base. I extended 7 months so that one year would be there. They said I had to when I got the orders to Oki.

Sorry its so long. But my main question is what are my chances of finding a decent job if I get out and how much trouble will I have finding it? I also plan to use my GI bill when I get out too. Currently I have no college.

2. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Are you a A1C or SrA? 3 level? 5 level?

Sit down with your first shirt about your bullshit.

Everyone I've talked to that has gotten out b/c of the bullshit just realizes that its the same amount of bullshit on the civilian side of things, no matter what the job. As AGE you're *probably* not going to have any 'skills' that most employers would want without you have a formal education. Even if you wanted to work somewhere in mechanics or aviation mechanics you'd probably need a formal civilian tech college training.

I've got a good friend who's a civilian contractor with the navy. he's got a double degree in Comp Sci and Math. Incredibly smart guy. He's only making like $25,000. you're probably making more when you factor in your benefits, healthcare, and tax breaks.

Where were you thinking of working/what type of job? If you want to change oil at jiffy lube you can make $8-9 an hour doing that. Chances are unless you get a hot deal on a job or you catch a lucky break you'll be stuck in a job like that. I'm not saying you couldn't find an employer that would take you and pay you $60k a year doing whatever, but chances are against you.

PLUS. break down you expenses vs your pay and benefits. You'll probably realize that given a 40 hour work week, you'd have to make over $15 or so an hour to live the same lifestyle.

Wait it out if you can, talk with your shirt, count your blessings. Make some rank and shift you position on the totem pole. You will probably hate things less. I would LOVE to go to Kadena. I'm PCSing to Scott AFB this weekend - thats in Illinois. :ugh2:

List some specifics that you don't like.

3. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

Im a SRA 5 level.

I love the island here but work is much worse then my last base. At my last shop leadership cared and made things happen for the better. Here it just seems like everyone is out to get eachother because they think if they can tell on someone for even the littlest things it will make themselves look better or they can somehow put that shit on their EPR for master or something.

Another thing about this shop. I never had a problem with being under anyone I was under before I got here. Im just gonna come out and say it... some of people in the shop just seem like straight up dirtbags. Like they try to do the least amount of work possible by dumping it on airmen who already have shit to do.

Now airmen here are just plain unmotivated. And I dont blame them. The opstempo here is high. And unmotivated airmen just piddling along with work doesnt help the load, it just piles it up. Then when we are getting the work done, were still kept late for what seems like no reason and our lunch time is always randomly cut short, or our gym time is cut. When were doing good its just as bad as when we do the minimum so why do more?

Ok now that Ive babbled on about some of the shop specifics I dont like. Let me get into some of the general things I dont like about the AF and my job.

I never have liked my job. I really wanted to be in network administration. Being on the flightline we get screwed a lot of the time. We have a 4 day weekend this weekend. Im working 12's all 4 days with only 1 day of compensation. Thats just an example. Were always working when everyone else is off.

Being on call 24/7. Its part of the job I know. Doesnt mean I will like it. One night I was in a Japanese language class when the airmen were put on a liberty lockdown (more BS I love). So everyone was contacted to be told not to go out that night. Well I was in class and they couldnt get a hold of me. I got bitched at the next day like I didnt tell my mom where I was going when I was a kid.

Another thing... time. I never feel like I have enough time for me. Its work, work, and more work. Im devoting my life to something I dont like or have passion for.

Also, family and friends. I still miss them and home to this day and still want to go back. I often wonder why I left the life I had back home in the first place, and now things will never be like they were.

In closing. Im never happy because Im not doing what I want. For the time being Im stuck.

I want to go back home, get a job, and go to school for a degree on something Im actually interested in. Something I can aspire for. Even if the job is jiffy lube while I am in school. At least I know I will be off when my shift ends and I will have that "me" time and the time for school.

I know theres more to this... I just cant think it all up right now.

4. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Some of the bull you're dealing with is just putting in your time as a junior enlisted. The other crap you should be able to talk with your shirt about - such as the being bitched out while being in class. The people telling on each other is AF wide. In fact, I was just talking with some SMSgt's about it today. Officers tell on each other, and Enlisted tell on each other. Within the ranks, we're our worst enemy. Between the ranks, we don't give a shit about the gossip or if you got drunk last weekend and slept with Sgt Suzy.

What do you think could be done to improve the crap thats going on in the shops? What could make the changes to make you not your job? I honestly feel that if you become pro-active a lot of the dumping of work can be taken care of by a Cheif telling a MSgt who tells a SSgt to start doing their damn job. Also realize you'll be that SSgt in a short period of time and you'll have more leadership opportunities. I obviously don't know the whole situation, but maybe your superiors are having you do work because it NEEDS done and you're the only people who can do it. I doubt they're giving you work to do for shits and giggles.

If you go in there and just complain they'll write you off. If you go in there with problems AND potential solutions, they'll give you a lot more credit.

When you go home and see that a large chuck of the guys you knew in school are bums, and you've been around the world doing something that makes a difference, you'll appreciate your job a bit more. Even if it doesn't seem significant to you, your job is making a difference.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  5. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Cross train into 2E2. I believe they need people.

6. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

Cross training into Com is something Ive been thinking as well. Its where I originally wanted to be, and my asvab scores are good enough.

7. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

I'm getting out this summer. I don't have a job lined up yet but I have a jobs I'm already looking at. I just went through TAP Workshop (Transition Assistance Program). Great class. So I know what you're talking about.

8. Jyokker

forget 3Cs too many.

9. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

I thought com was 2E2?

10. Jyokker

Comm is all 3C and 2E as well as a few others.

11. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

I'm in the same boat you are man, I believe Kadena takes the life out of almost anyones career that works on the flightline. You AGE guys work as much as we do (fuels). I'm probabally going to crosstrain when my time comes up into something in CE if I can because I'd rather be retired at 39 then have to start all over again at 25.

12. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

become a crewchief. It will make your old job seem so much better. You will have more responsibility, less free time, EVERYONE will be looking over your shoulder and inspecting your work, and if ANYTHING goes wrong with your aircraft it's your ass on the line.

No one can give you a bad attitude. It's something you allow yourself to do to yourself. Stop being such a victim in your own head. The AF isn't persecuting you. There are a ton of civilian jobs that have nowhere near the benefits and potential as what you have now. And there are thousands of guys working those dead-end jobs for low pay and zero benefits and zero job security that would sell their left nut to have your circumstances.

If you want out, put in your time and make some solid, concrete, detailed plans for what you will do when you get your discharge. "I want to go back home, get a job, and go to school for a degree on something Im actually interested in." is NOT good enough. You have skills and training. That will help you get a job in the civilian sector if you want it, but they won't give you the lifestyle you have now. You will most likely earn close to minimum wage, with no health or other benefits. If you want a better job, go to school now. I had a friend that went to school the last year he was in the AF. He took EMT and medical classes, and when he got out he picked up a job right off the bat as an Emergency Medical Technician in an ambulance company. He also enrolled in a college. So he had his college benefits, AND he had a decent paying job to help with expenses and maintain a good lifestyle. THAT is what I mean by making a detailed plan and working toward a clearly defined goal.

When I went into the AF I had no idea what I wanted out of life. The AF gave me some time to think about that, and job skills to make it happen. Don't look back on your six years of service and wonder why the fuck you never did anything productive with that time. There is no one in the world that is more responsible than YOU for what you do with your life. Take control of your destiny. Set your goals, define what steps have to happen before your goals can be fulfilled. Plan out what you have to do to check off each step toward your goals. And then work your plan.

And for god's sake, stop being such a fucking victim. :mad:

13. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

Being a USAF Vet that is out, I'm having the time of my life.

Making great money, about to buy a condo, college is paid for, plus I got hurt so I get a nice check and I got a kick ass job.

I was a 2E2 :)

Seriously though, stick it out, putting on the face that you 100% want out will ruin yourself mentally. I convinced myself I wanted out when I got hurt and I was on the path of it, BUTTTTTTTT since I did that, I basically made my life a living hell. Near the time I was gonna get out, I actually straighted my act up a little bit, and dare I say miss it somedays, yea, oh well.

Anyways, I actually think I'll hopefully end up back on a base working as a civilian, talk about having it perk ;)

I'm not going to say it gets any better or worse. Alot of it is in year head mang.

At least you don't sound like you are drinking, thats probably the worst thing you can do in your situation.

For the people saying you'll make shit, etc., Sorry

I'm making more than a Captain + school is all paid for and I get to stay in the place that I decide. I had most of my college out of the way before I got in, so I'm getting a full ride for my MBA.

Why do people in AD make it sound like such a tragic happening when you get out, there is alot of positives that happen when you get out, like, smoking a nice spliff again in your new condo....

14. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

The thing is Im not 100%. I keep teeter tottering between wanting to cross-train and getting out. I guess Im just one of those young airmen who dont know what they want in life.

Some people say with the experience I have I should be able to get something decent. While others say the opposite. I really dont know how it would be. I just remember how hard it was trying to find a job before I joined.

15. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

start ass kissing guys about to retire

These guys have fucking YEARS of network done for their moment to retire, if you are cool with them, I bet you can find a decent gig

16. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

You weren't in AGE. Different job skills, different opportunities, different situation.

17. BillyJackNCoke

do you live in the dorms too?

18. SHIFT_blue

SHIFT_blue OT Supporter

Sure do. I think its less than half the size of my old dorm room.

19. BillyJackNCoke

yeah they are fucking small, I'm over in 630 and I got too much shit in my room, luckily I only have 4 more months left here, but I am gonna miss this island and the COLA

20. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

hey man, take advantage of your GI bill and do whatever you want :)