I want to get into the IT industry.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Swerve, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Hi all,

This is a question for people working in the IT industry,

I want to get back into working in the industry, I worked in an IT dept untill 1998 but only modded and fixed single desktop machines (ie:non networked machines ) and have a good understanding on how to upgrade and fix them. I love working with PC's.

Now, I want to get back into the sector but am more interested in the networking side of things as it both interests me more ( I spend all my spare time on the tech forums whilst listening to IT audio chat rooms, then when I head to bed I read IT books, lol, honestly) plus it seems there's more money in that networking side of things aswell, which is important now I'm older and have bills to pay.

Basically what I would like to know is what do you look for when recruiting people? Whats skills and knowledge do you think is most important? Also how significant are the various Certifications available? I don't have any.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreiciated.

P.S. If anyone is looking for a trainee, I am willing to relocate anywhere for the right job (UK/Europe).

2. Intim

Intim New Member

get a BS or MS degree in networking. gl

3. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Is a degree really nesercary? I'm 30 now and going to uni is gonna take 4 years of full time education. It seems these days just because 50% of school leavers go to university employers expect everyone to have a degree.

A degree does'nt guarantee real world skills, whilst practical hands on experience does.

4. keleko

keleko yes, he is

no.
    you don't.

/thread

5. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

you gotta have something that shows you know what you're doing

doesn't matter how many books you read, IMO if you don't have the experience or education, your resume won't even be looked at twice

I know I might get flamed for this but try looking into getting some certifications done...it's not experience or education persay, it's somewhere in the middle and might help you get in the door..even if it means starting at the bottom of the food chain

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

well what education background do you have?

it's true you don't need a degree to do well in IT or even get into IT. I know a kickass windows admin that majored in English. Top tier firewall security guy that was a psychology major, and a great developer that was a biology major, another great designer, but he has a phd in aerospace engineering so this is baby shit to him... but you get the point. With that said, there are plently of more dipshits who don't know a damn thing that were CS, CIS, MIS, CE, EE majors. But that's besides the point, if you have something on paper, that's good enough.

Its sound like you're already employed? Can you do anything IT-ish at that company? That would be a good place to start.

Better if you focus on networking, networking with people that is.

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

hehe that was my first thought. If he wants to hate computers and the people that use them, he should get into IT. Otherwise, keep it a hobby.

8. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

there's more to IT than just fixing pc's and dealing with end users... that's about the worst type of IT job...

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Heh...that's not even really an IT job so much as it is a Geek Squad job.

10. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

take some classes

get an internship

move forward from there

11. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I'm an intern at a bank... I almost have a 2-year degree in CIS and that is more education than anyone in the department. They are all WAY smarter than me.

Anyways, at this particular place all they look at is experience. The guy I work with used to work for Amazon but left for this bank.. He has never spent a day in college.

12. michelin man

my old boss was by far the smartest programmer / developer i have come across. he didn't have a degree...

i personally went about this backwards.

worked a LOW level tech support job.
    that job turned into doing reporting and automation
    took MCDBA track
    got new job
    finished degree
    now working as a software engineer

regardless of what happens i will always have the degree.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah; the degree means, if nothing else, that you were willing to put up with being forced to think about things from other people's perspectives for four years straight. It's a valuable skill to have.

14. LANshark

LANshark This is America. My president is black and my Lamb

If you are looking to make alot of cash, no degree, and being out of the game for 4 years is going to hurt you BAD. You are going to have to either talk a good game and trick an employer into hiring someone with next to no knowledge or pay your dues again like michelin man talked about. I would suggest you find a small local webhosting company and start at the bottom. It will suck and after time. People will leave and you will move up into Linux and/or NT maybe. It's going to take some painful and annoying years to get to a point where you wanna be. But, there is no get rich quick IT job that the cert places talk about on the TV.

I have to tell you I have been in IT for many years and I have seen many people that get certs or heard IT makes you a cash money millionaire in a week. Get frustrated and leave. It's long hours. Weekends off if you are lucky. No Holidays. Computer networks don't stop at close of business and when you are doing a system upgrade and it's 4am on Sunday. Don't forget to smile when you realize that you have to be back in your office at 9am Monday ready for it to all start again.

15. Cheeks

Cheeks New Member

Don't...seriously....don't.

16. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Get an A+, Net+, MCSA, CCNA or some other certification then start applying for entry level jobs. You can work yourself up from there. Experience and skill will get you ahead quicker than a degree.

17. michelin man

i think we were paying a few of our interns around $1400 a month and they worked at most 20 hrs a week.