I want to get an older polic Crown Vic. Opinions??

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ivandrago, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Ivandrago

Ivandrago I must break you.

they should be relatively reliable, you know that they're well taken care of their whole life, it's fast (kind of). So what would be the pros and cons of getting an ex-cruiser? ALso, what would i be looking at for a price range?
    :wavey:

2. EPMD

EPMD I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. A

Pros - Cheap

Cons - Being engulfed in a huge fireball after it explodes.

3. Marty

Marty Won Ton Animal Chin is Missing

Cons: beat to death its entire life.

4. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

:werd:

5. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

pro: it's big and comfy

cons: it's slow

6. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

Caprice > Vic in every respect from the early 80's on.

7. Brujo

Brujo New Member

My friend has an ex-police 89 CV LTD, and although its clunky, its highly reliable...

8. Ivandrago

Ivandrago I must break you.

Reaaaaaly?? :eek3: :naughty:

9. sonicyouth

sonicyouth Guest

haha

10. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

Except for that whole not-existing-anymore thing :o

11. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

They are not even kind of fast. They are just really slow, heavy pieces of crap. Get a 94 - 96 Chevy B-body with the LT1 if you want to be quick in a big car.

12. EPMD

:rofl: :rolleyes:

"The Ford Crown Victoria has come been under scrutiny because of gas-tank fires and explosions with Crown Victoria police cruisers. There are about 350,000 Crown Victoria Police Interceptors on the road. An estimated 13 police officers, including three in Arizona and a recent fatality involving a police officer near Dallas, Texas that is under investigation, have died in accidents allegedly where the car's gas tank exploded following high speed, rear-end crashes. Critics say the Crown Victoria's danger stems from the placement of its gas tank, which is between the rear bumper and the rear axle.
    On September 27, 2002, Ford Motor Company and the Arizona Attorney General announced that the auto maker will install and pay for fuel-tank shields on Crown Victoria Interceptor police vehicles. During a press briefing, Arizona Attorney General Janet Napolitano said Ford will offer an upgrade kit, which will include the shields. The company also said it will offer an optional trunk package, which is designed to help police officers carry sharp-edged heavy equipment more safely.
    All police department orders of Crown Victoria Police Interceptors will be built with the fuel-tank shields from today forward, Ford said. While pleased that Ford agreed to make the modifications, it was reported that the families of some victims said independent testing on the fix should be done. "We welcome Ford's efforts, but the consequences of an ineffective solution to this problem can be fatal. We cannot risk that," stated Ann Marie Nielsen in an Associated Press article. Her husband Robert Nielsen, a police officer in Chandler, Arizona, was killed on June 12, 2002, after his patrol car collided with another car and burst into flames."

13. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

He said older you fucking dipshit assclown. 94-96 Caprice 9C1 did the quarter in mid to high 14's, and got 18-23mpg. The 94-96 Vic Interceptor top model did the quarter in high 16's and got 14-19mpg. HMM!!!

14. EPMD

Because?

15. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

:eek3: :eek:

Either one is superior to the 2003 Camaro though

16. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

yup, if you get one from nassua county popo, its prolly been been to shit, and redlined daily (and for long periods at a time)

17. contactone

contactone OT Supporter

PROS: You can watch all the suckers brake like mad cause they think your a cop.

CONS: You can wonder how many homeless, drunk or suicidal fucks have puked in the back seat.

Actually, you want to watch were your car came from. Around here you never want to buy a car from the Chicago police or Cook county sheriffs. They abuse their cars like a stepchild.

18. Torch

Torch Guest

I have owned a few police cruisers over the years and they appeared well taken care of. Trust me the respect you get on the road is second to none. I tinted my windows and purchased two antennas off of ebay and placed them on the trunk. You could noticeably see a difference in the way people treated you on the road.

Also, the police edition cars come all optioned out except for a radio and they have oil coolers, better suspension and Z rated tires.

The key is to inspect the shit out of the car before you buy.

19. AndyB

AndyB I love you baby Kaitlyn and Dad

9c1 > Clown Vic

:bigthumb:

20. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

The Vic is an okay overall car, but it's not a performer, it's not nearly as reliable as people think (be prepared to replace alternators, and modules) and the current body style is prone to explosion or fire when hit from behind EVEN if fitted with the tank shield. That said it's still a better than average car in many respects, it's quiet, and roomy, and has a huge trunk. However, when compared to the 9C1 Caprice, the Vic just doesn't hold up. While many agencys are dumping the Vic in favor of other cruisers, most of wich going to the new Impala's, several agencys have jumped on the buy back program, and have purchased, used 94-96 9C1s, sending them back to GM for refit, and using these cars insted of brand new Crown Vics. The Virginia State Police, and Secret Service are just a couple of many police agencys who are doing this.

21. :werd: take it from a caprice owner. they own the CV.

22. :eek3: Jeez, did you read on the report where they said they tested the Cherokee and Explorer in 4wd for every test? Fuckin' idiots, I think there's your answer on how cops treat their vehicles.

23. Unrecognized

Unrecognized Guest

Did anyone read the report?
    1996 Camaro Z28 police package does 14.98 in the 1/4.