I want to get a subwoofer built for xmas.. need help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cRaZe, Oct 8, 2004.

1. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

I definately am going to use a adire tempest for the driver.

im probably going to get the plate amp from http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-793

that one to be exact.

my problem is even after looking at exact box specs from the adire website i have no idea how to make out a box from those... im very inexperienced with woodwork in general ..

how much do people custom make boxes to order?

ill probably just get one made but if anyone could recommend someone in the houston area or someone that does it online and ships cheaply ... :x:

would you guys recommend the custom made sub over a prefab such as the likes of the hst stf2 or the cheapest svs subwoofer?

2. 04

04 Guest

Its gonna cost a fortune to ship a huge enclosure like that (maybe 100 dollars or more).

I'd check and see if you can find a local cabinetmaker and ask him how much he would charge to make the enclosure and finish it for you. You'd probably end up paying less that way.

P.S. I have that amp and it works great IMO :)

3. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

4. 04

04 Guest

I made one that looks like that one (but a bit bigger :o )

IMO, it would be better for him to do a box design if he were to do it himself, as it took me quite a bit longer to construct my tube based sub over the box subs I've made. (Although part of that could have been due to how large it is)

http://home.tulsaconnect.com/parkerttp/1803-1.jpg

5. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

damn those sonotube designs are :coold:

would make for a lot better showpeice in my theater...

if only one of you guys that can build those are near me :hsd:

money isnt too much of a concern but i definately dont want to buy premade as i just dont believe any of them are worth it at below the 500 dollar mark

6. rengo

rengo Are you ready to rock, BK broiler!?

It's not really that hard to make a box.. As long as you have a reasonable tool collection. I made two boxes with a jigsaw, circular saw, and a drill. Ideally, you would want a table saw; and a router makes the subwoofer cut out a bit easier.

Oh, and good choice for the sub. I have a shiva in my car and it rocks. But now I want to get a Koda 12 when they come out..or save up for a brahma, but that's a whole other story.

7. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

brahma is $$$ but i hear such good things all over teh interwheb about that xbl2 .

hmmm lets make a toolcheck...

jigsaw - what the hell is that?
    circular saw - see jigsaw
    drill - always wanted one :hs:

table saw - dont even have a work table
    router - like for the internet? :rofl:

best i have are screwdrivers and ratchet stuff and misc handtools for working on my bike :o

8. cRaZe

cRaZe 3rd world slummin

ok did some more homework at avsforum ...

i just now discovered that parts express subwoofer kits they sell... theres a 12" dayton mkIII kit with enclosure and 500 watt amp for $536 shipped..

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-762

and i also discovered a sonotube kit from creative sounds that uses the shiva 12" driver but it doesnt come with a amp but it does come with the amp box for easy install of a plate amp which would end up coming from parts express or wherever.. that project should come out to about $419.. not including shipping

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=EZTUBESHIVAP

OR theres option C where i go to www.acoustic-visions.com and pick out the tempest subwoofer, they also carry the parts express #300-793 amp (250w @ 4 ohms), and a box designed specifically for the tempest which they happen they specialize in of which i want the 214L vented box ... this all together will run 548 without shipping ...

price isnt really a concern in this case as my budget can actually go past 1000 but me being the thrifty consumer as always would rather save some dollars and go with the best value for the dollar which i seem to feel can come closer to around 500 dollars..

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004