I want to format my PC...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MikeMurder, Jan 16, 2003.

1. MikeMurder

MikeMurder Guest

My PC is getting too many errors and I'm gonna format it and replace Windows 98 with XP.... but I have questions....

*What are the system requirments of XP?
    *I have a partition on my HD, will I need to redo that?
    *If I move everything over to the second partition, would it get deleted after formatting?
    * If I moved programs to the second partition, would it really matter that much when I put it back after formatting and not having it in the registry? (did that make sense? :big grin:)

maybe more Q's later.....

2. Ractoon

Ractoon Shibumi in progress...

Somewhere around a 500MHz processor, 128 MB of RAM, 1 GB HD space is the min requirements. Recommended is 800 MHz, 256 MB or 512 if possible.

During install it will ask you which partition you want to install it on, if you want to reformat that partition, or if you'd like to just delete all partitions. If you have an OS currently installed in one it'll create a dual boot menu after install if you decide to install it on the other partition.

Not if you select the partition you moved it from. XP will only install stuff/delete stuff from whatever partition you selected.

Programs have to be installed so that all the components are installed. The folders contain some information, but not all of it. Windows won't recognize it's installed. It's also best to just reinstall everything after a reformat so you don't have junk carrying over from previous files.

3. MikeMurder

MikeMurder Guest

:bigthumb: also, this is the full-version.... not upgrade.... does that effect the answer to Q#2 at all?

4. MikeMurder

MikeMurder Guest

And what is this "dual menu" you are talking about?

5. Ractoon

Ractoon Shibumi in progress...

Actually my explanation was for the full upgrade. Just put the CD in when your computer first powers on and set the boot menu in BIOS to load from CD ROM first.

The dual menu, should've been dual boot menu. A DOS like screen will come up before your OS boots up with 2 listings (if you have 2 OSes). In your case it will display Windows 98 and Windows XP. You'll be able to choose which one you want to boot into. Good luck.