i want to do a triathlon

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by keeler, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keeler

keeler New Member

http://www.redmantriathlon.com/AboutREDMAN/REDMANEvents/tabid/60/Default.aspx

that is the traithlon coming up in my area. about 160 days till the event. I would be doing the half, 1.2 mile swim, 56mile bike, and 13 mile run.
    i have never done anything like this before, and am currently not in shape to do any of those things.
    i've been working out and lost about 16lbs so far and think it would be really cool to have something to train for, besides my health and sex appeal lol.
    anyone know what the pace is like for these things? i can bike about 20 miles now, run about 2-3 miles, and i'm not sure about my swim distance because i havn't done laps in about 3 years.
    recently i havn't been able to lift weights due to an injury and have just been doing 45 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical with bpm average at 160ish.
    How should i go about training for this thing? i've got access to a bike and place to run any day of the week, but the pool i will only have access to about once a week.

2. keeler

keeler New Member

also, any reccomendations for a cheap as hell/decent running shoe? like less than 30 bucks, i can't even afford to buy a sub.

3. solarian

solarian ya heard

wish i could help. but from what i read, sounds like you need a personal trainer.

4. keeler

keeler New Member

never!

5. niners

niners OT Supporter

you should look into any sprint tri's in your area to do before the half. there are even some organizations who host "beginner tri's" which are essentially a super-sprint, do a few of those to get your feet wet. imo a half is a lot to get through with less than half a year to train.

i bike to work and sometimes on the way home ill take a detour to train, and you can train transitions this way by biking home then training your running right after. it's really a big difference going from doing each separately to stringing them all together, and training them in succession is what will help you get ready for race day. you especially have to learn how to pace your biking and your running so that your legs don't give out on you after the bike leg.

not doing laps in 3 years is a big difference, get in the pool as often as you can. being as it's a half, it's most likely going to be a bay/lake swim, in which case you might be able to use a wetsuit (check with the organization hosting the event). a wetsuit will help your swimming a lot but swimming in a lake/bay with 50 other people is also an altogether different experience than swimming laps, so all i can suggest is get in that pool and train like you trained on a swim team if you were part of one.

but to start out i would definitely say go do a sprint/super-sprint and get a feel for it. train each leg individually at first, get strong and comfortable in them then start stringing the different events together in any way you can find. good luck!

6. keeler

keeler New Member

offtopic here but, when you bike to work, don't you get sweaty on the way? also, do you ride in bad weather as well?

back on topic, i think i will take your advice and do a sprint first.
    i found a super sprint. Swim 500 meters, Bike 12 miles, Run 3.1 miles. its june 14th.
    that sounds easy, but i'm sure doing those things back to back is where the difficulty lies.

7. Pringles

Pringles New Member

FYI for long distance running. I'm not sure how you stand in that, but from my experience you can train and practice running half the distance. Come race day you can do the whole thing. You just have to work on getting your body to race pace and if you can hold that for an hour you can hold it for two or three more. Sounds weird, but worked for me. Train running 7-8 miles come race day you'll knock out 13 fine.

8. niners

niners OT Supporter

yeah i bring a change of clothes with me, and ride in all weather. i dont mind cold/rain, it's only when it gets windy that i get annoyed lol since i ride a fixed gear back and forth. on cooler days i just ride in my regular pants/shorts and bring a t-shirt to change, on hot/humid days as is normal here in houston ill wear bike shorts in then change into regular clothes once im at work. also, i keep my regular shoes in my bag and wear cycling shoes so it doesn't really bother me if it rains.

500m swim 12 mile bike and 3.1 run is a typical sprint, super sprints are even shorter. the next distance up is olympic distance, then half ironman, then ironman. it sounds easy :p, but if you try to push yourself on all 3 it really forces you to dig deep, hence "sprint" :p. 8 weeks is a pretty decent amount of time to get yourself in good shape for a sprint, have fun.

9. BrianFantana

BrianFantana Active Member

yeah that might sound easy but you're no where near prepared for this triathlon that you want to try. You haven't swam and three years and can only swim once a week? Have fun with a mile there.

10. 7G

7G God

I agree with what niners said...

Im glad you decided to switch to a sprint... i dont think 160 days is anywhere near enough time to train for a half iron... thats pretty ridiculous, especially if you havent been doing any of the sports...

in response to your shoe question go to a running store, get them to look at your feet/the way you walk... you dont want to fuck around with running shoes, you can destroy your feet quite easily wearing the wrong shoes. If you cant afford them now wait until you can, or you will pay for it in the long run.

anyway good luck on your tri

11. keeler

keeler New Member

just to clarify i'm definatly not doing the half iron this year, lol. i'm going to do this sprint in june, and maybe a couple more and try the half iron next year in 09, if i enjoy it that is. Sounds like a blast though, and i'm super excited. Only thing i'm worried about is pace. I don't care what place i get since its my first sprint but i don't want to be last, lol.
    what do you think the average time spans for each event is?

also, besides good shoes, any other supportive gear i should think about? maybe some preemptive protection for my knees or ankles? wraps, tape, etc?
    i really have no idea what i'm doing and just want to do it right.

also, i found this 22 week sprint training program, its for couch-sprint and i'm above couch status by a couple months so i'm starting at week 12.
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=262

12. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

ive heard of people running it just to finish one. even old guys, id imagine that guy who carried his son through the entire thing didnt finish in a short time..

13. keeler

keeler New Member

that guy, just wow,:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
    i wish i could be just a quarter of the man he is.

14. niners

niners OT Supporter

hard to say time spans, but for a sprint i'd say most average people probably do 500m of swimming in maybe 10 mins if they don't have a strong swimming background, under 30 mins is pretty fast for a 12 mile bike so i'd say maybe 40 mins avg, and assuming the avg runner runs 10 mins/mile, maybe 30 mins for running. this is being very generous with time, so total = 1hr 20 mins. again, all speculation based on what i think avg people pace at, no idea what the numbers really are.

team hoyt finished second to last in their first ironman i believe, and last or second to last in countless of their beginning races. the father was never a long distance runner to begin with, and didn't even know how to swim until he started training for it. it's incredible.

essentially, the only things you need to complete a tri are a good pair of running shoes, a decent bike, and swimsuit+goggles. if you're concerned with completing at a competitive time, that's a whole different story where gear is concerned.

15. keeler

keeler New Member

am i going to regret it if i don't wear a speedo?

i'm not worried about competing competitively (yet, lol) i'm just doing it so i can train for something, plus i think it will be fun and maybe meet some cool new people in the process. I have anxiety issues with groups of people or events, that will probably be the most trying thing for me, also i will be in a swimsuit.

16. keeler

keeler New Member

also... what do i wear? lol.
    i get really anal about being prepared. the more prepared i am and the less that is uncertain, really helps cut down on my anxiety. more unknowns=more anxiety.

17. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Best thing to prevent injury is do not slack on your core exercises. Stronger muscles around your joints are better than any brace or wrap. Plan an entire workout of just core exercises if you have to (as in, if that's the only way you can get yourself to do them). I do a minimum of 15 min a day. Each sport has different core exercises. Google will help you find them.

Ohhh yeah and lots of base. Even though an Olympic distance Tri only takes around 2 hours, I still do sessions of 4 to 5 hours in order to make 2 hours feel like a hop skip and a jump. Doesn't matter how much weight you lose, how big and toned your legs become, if you have no experience exercising the same time or longer than what you plan on racing, there's no way you'll be competitive. If you don't care about competition (doesn't sound like you do) you can get by with significantly less.

Ohhh and practice eating while you exercise.

18. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

You can wear a wetsuit for the swim depending on the water temp, it'll help keep you warm and buoyant. And then you'd want and triathlon shorts and a jersey for the run. Tri-shorts are like bike shorts, but with a little less padding.

Get fitted for your bike as well.

A friend of mine who is 6'4 /240 in decent shape finished in under 1:30.

19. niners

niners OT Supporter

for what to wear get a pair of tri-shorts like hamster said. you can swim in them then hop on your bike immediately after. you'll probably want to change into a pair of running shorts and top after the bike leg, running in spandex =/= comfortable.

as far as wetsuits go, you can only wear wetsuits in open water swims, and even then only events that will allow it. if water is above a certain temp determined by the org, they won't allow wetsuits.

20. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

cheap shoes will cause lots of pain and discomfort.

21. c.a

c.a New Member

I'm glad to see the 47th fattest state in the union has decided to put on a triathlon.....

But I'm thinking of signing up :hsd:

22. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Biggest thing I can recommend is doing lots of bricks. The first time I did an olympic distance tri I had prepared by training my swim/bike/run separately and felt pretty prepared. But preparing each of those activities separately does not prepare you for what it's like doing them back to back which is why I think it's crucial to do blocks of swimming/biking biking/running etc... together

23. BrianFantana

BrianFantana Active Member

he finished very fast actually.

24. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

who doesn't, amirite

25. LuciferBowels

LuciferBowels New Member

need more swimming. go to lake or ocean meng.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.