i want to do 100 push ups.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SquallRm, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquallRm

SquallRm New Member

I want to set a goal for myself to be able to do 100 push ups. Yes I know its just building my endurance to doing them, but i still want to be able to do it.

Anyone who has done it, any tips?

2. MSF

MSF New Member

Start doing them with a little bit of extra wieght on your back.

3. Fishbait

Fishbait New Member

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

just do pushups every other day (or if you work with weights, then do them on chest/tri/push days), and do them at an incline... When I got to the point that I was able to do 80 inclines I could do 100 regular. Also, personally I could do pushups forever and my tris will give out way before my chest. Maybe do diamond pushups too to work on tris so that it evens out? :dunno: just a thought.

5. pooshda

pooshda New Member

I am assuming you mean 100 in a row right... ie: non-stop.

I cant remember what the most I ever did was, I dont think I ever made it to 100 though but I did more than I should have been able to do. Determination goes a long way sometimes :hsd:

Last year I could do quite a few in a row, but I was doing at least 500+ a day when I was doing body weight excersizes, then there came almost a full year of slacking off and now I cant do that many at all, I always look back and think "what if I had been keeping up this past year instead of slacking... where would I be now" shit like that pisses you off because over a year I probably would have been further than I can imagine!

6. SquallRm

SquallRm New Member

yes 100 all at once without stoping.

Are you sure its harder to do them on an incline? I'll try it anyway. What I was thinking was to do few in the morning and few at night.

Is it a bad idea? I didnt know that muscles needed that much rest from un-weighted push ups.

7. pooshda

pooshda New Member

I always thought they were hardest on a decline... ie: with my feet elevated, maybe it was how I was doing them but I thought with my upper body elevated they were much easier but maybe my technique was totally flawed...

I think diamonds/hands really close together are the hardest for sure... I hate doing those ones, but they seemed to work my inner chest / line between my pecs area awesome :hs:

8. mr. ant

mr. ant OT Supporter

having someone scream in your ear will help you push out a lot more than usual

9. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

nah you just push and wish you would stop getting yelled at

10. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i don't even practice push-ups but just doing regular bench press and all that after time increased my push-ups. the other day we had a fitness test in my pe class and i did 70+ pushups in a minute so i figure i could do 100 w/o time.

cliffs: your push-ups will increase just from regular lifting. so do that.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I consider that an incline...

It's like an incline bench press, only upside down (i originally got into fitness with weights so I see a lot from that perspective I guess).

anyways, to thread starter: do them at decline :o

It will put more weight on the muscles but still not so much that you don't gain any endurance from the workout.

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

This is true, but if those muscles aren't tuned for that specific weight and style of movement then the "burn" will be a major factor.. If you do actual pushups to try and build up your number then the number of reps at which the serious burn kicks in will increase, thus allowing you to do more and more.

Strength training won't increase your muscular endurance by much, all it can do is make each pushup easier to do until a certain point.

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Additionally bench press, or ideally DB press, will work more stabilizers than pushups and therefore are probably better for this goal.

14. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Girl pushups don't count as pushups.

15. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

No they won't. When you're doing a bench press your body is being supported by the bench. When you're doing a pushup your whole torso has to work so you don't collapse onto the ground.

16. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

This is interesting.

Noob question - Best way to train pushups with weights? I do crunches everyday with weights, but wouldn't mind adding pushups to the routine..

17. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

I do my pushups with Blast Straps

18. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

not true about the max strength-endurance relationship. given both guys are in shape someone that can bench 500 is going to be able to do alot more pushups than someone who can bench 300. Your max strength helps your muscular endurance but not the other way around

19. Fishbait

Fishbait New Member

dude.. did you click on the link i pasted up above? it tells you exactly how to get to 100 pushups with a perfectly laid out routine.

:hsugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.