I want to create a website, but have no idea how.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by yoolykeme, Jul 23, 2004.

1. yoolykeme

yoolykeme Guest

okay, first i know that i have to register my domain name....done.

and i know that i have to buy server space....okay.

now im lost.

i want to create a pic site of my life and a blog, i guess.

is there a tutorial somewhere that i can read on extensions and how to ftp and all that kinda stuff?

also, are there site templates that i can take from somewhere and use for mine?

thanks.

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

3. njmuscle

njmuscle Original Gangsta!

Why did you buy a domain name seperately w/o hosting? Most hosting companies give you a free domain if you purchase hosting for 1 year - i'm assuming you want your domain for atleast a year correct?

The only host i use is, http://www.iPowerWeb.com. Currently they offer hosting at 7.95 a month. If you pay for the year in advance u get a free domain name of your choice. So if you still need hosting i guess you could get another free domain. Anyways they offer 800MB space, 40gig Trasnfer bandwidth per month, 400 free emails, etc. - basically the best deal out there.

They also use vdeck which is basically an automated system/control panel where you can install and set up various applications. I know they offer BLOG. All you do is choose a username, password and it sets it up automatically for you. If you need help feel free to drop me an email @ [email protected] or PM me. Hope this helped a bit :bigthumb:

4. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

There are tutorials and books everywhere to learn how to create web sites. You just need to know where to look. Do a Google search on html tutorials, and you'll get a bunch of links to check out. Same thing for html site templates. If you're wanting to do a blog, you can do what maczter suggested and check out blogger.com.

Basically, creating a web site from the ground up with no knowledge or experience of HTML or web design is a chore. If you really want to learn how to design web pages, I'd pick up some books. My friends bought my fiancee "Creating Web Pages for Dummies" for her birthday last year, and that really is a good book for someone who wants to learn. If all you really wanna do is put pictures and blogs on the Internet, your best bet would be to get something pre-fab, like blogger or any number of other places.

5. boileralum

boileralum ODB

www.webmonkey.com has a bunch of useful tutorials on it if you want to really DIY.

6. oradii

oradii www.oteampress.com

www.asp.net

tutorials, open source projects, and forums for all your questions. good stuff there.

7. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm guessing that will be a bit over Cosmo's head given this line...

"is there a tutorial somewhere that i can read on extensions and how to ftp and all that kinda stuff?"

No offense. I'm just saying I worked on web stuff for years and know HTML quite well, but I always just got pissed off and frustrated trying to go through tutorials for ASP stuff.

Cosmo, if all you want is a blog with photos, seriously check out blogger.com. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel when there are free wheels all over the place (unless you're just dying to learn how to do it solely for the learning experience).

8. yoolykeme

yoolykeme Guest

hi all...

thanks for the help. i'll read up on this stuff and let you all know what i come out with :)