A&P I want to buy some books on digital photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Marcos, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Any that you guys recommend?

I need help on composition especially

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Why limit yourself to digital photography? Unless you have a $2000 + digital camera, you're not going to get the controls and features that you can find on a good used 35mm camera that you can pick up for less than $500. What you have in a lower priced digital camera is a "point and shoot" that doesn't let you do much else.

Photography is much more than "point and shoot" framing. You need to be able to adjust and control everything from shutter speeds to aperature to film speed to lens selection to lighting control.

Any decent bookstore has a photography section. Check out "The 35mm photographers handbook". It has sections on composition as well as just about every other aspect of photography.

3. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

I'll look up that book.

I have a Canon A70, it goes a long way into Manual Controls, so its not the standard point-and-shoot. It may not have everything, but it goes more than halfway.
    I also wouldnt be bothering with photography if i couldnt look at the results straight away, so i have to stick with digital.

I may just go for a DSLR as my current camera maybe the thing thats holding me back

4. johnson

johnson New Member

Jcolman, do you know the author of that book? Julian Calder?

[​IMG]

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

No, I can't say that I've every met him but his book is very good. I use it as a reference from time to time. Even professionals need to look up information at times.

6. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I understand completely. My first camera was a b/w poloroid swinger instant camera. Truly a "point and shoot" camera, but it sparked my interest in photography to the point where I majored in photography and became a professional.

7. johnson

johnson New Member

I meant do you know what the author of the book is. Geez, I cant think and type at the same time. :hs::) By your reply, im guessing thats the right book.

8. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Yes, this is the book that I was refering to. I see that there is a newer version out. My copy is a few years old.

I love the introduction that the authors have written. It starts out with the following:

"The first million pictures were the hardest to take. But we have taken them and the lessons we learned along the way are distilled in this book."

I guess I'm not the only one who still learns something new after 30 years of taking pictures!

9. AnN ToE KneE

AnN ToE KneE New Member

10. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Do you have any of your photos online?

I dont really feel like getting into it so much to be a professional, I just like the idea of photography, and also like making normal things look interesting in photos, especially small objects and landscapes, not so much people.

11. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

None of my still work is online. All of my personal work is on slides. I shoot/direct/produce videos for a living now, have been for the last 20 years. You can see some of my video work on our company website, www.horizonvp.com. I have had my professional stills published in magazines, brochures, ads and a coffee table book, but I rarely shoot stills anymore. I had to shoot some stills of models with some wild hair designs for an international hairdresser a while back. I lit our studio with a ton of light because I needed to shoot at f/8 or higher in order to maintain enough depth of field. It got a little hot in the studio! Maybe I can scan in a few of the proofs and post them later on. Don't have time today.

12. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter

Cool, thanks

13. Marcos

Marcos OT Supporter