I want to be a server and host my sites

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bigfootinthejungle, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Hey, I am currently paying to have 2 web sites hosted and I'm planning on creating more. I would like to host my sites on my computer. I'm currently on a road runner high speed connection using Windows XP. How do I go about doing this and is it expensive?

2. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

Well, since you are running a cable modem, your user agreement probably says you are not allowed to run a server on your computer. If they catch you, they can cancel your account. Instead you will probably have to upgrade to a business account with them so they can get some additional money from you. You will need a static IP address for people to actually reach your computer. You will also need some webserver software. Windows works pretty good with IIS but if you have XP Home, you don't have it. XP Pro might come with IIS, but I don't know for sure. You could also look into getting Apache (its free), but that works better on a non-Windows machine (Linux, BSD, etc.). If you have a firewall-router, you will need to configure it to pass traffic on port 80 to your computer instead of just blocking it. If you don't have a firewall, get one.

3. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

SteveVR4, I work for road runner tech support, you can run a web server all you want, we dont give a fuck, just dont call us asking us for help...

as for hosting sites ony our computer, first you need a web server software, apache is a popular one, version2, maybe a bit hard to configure for the newbie, but if you want to give it a try go to www.apache.org, you can find more easier to configure web servers @ www.tucows.com

it's actually really easy to run a server on your machine, most of us here do...once you get it up and running, it's cheap, depending on your connection speed descent and just as effective...

but ya dont worry about running a server on your road runner account

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Running your own server is fun. Best of luck to you. I think Leb gave you all the basic info you need.

And BTW, I was running a web and ssh server on my cable modem for over 3 years and they never said a single thing. I had @Home -> AT&T -> Comcast.

5. BagdHoe

BagdHoe Draggg it!!

Has anyone had any bandwidth usage problems with running a server on @Home? I know they have started to crack down on usage.

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Does @home even exist anymore?

7. so are you saying that I need to sign up for a Business account with Road Runner or not? And how do I get a static ip address? And how much is it?

8. also, if I download apache, is that going to support mySQL, and Perl, etc. or am I going to have to download those things to work along with apache?

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I tried getting a static IP from RR once. They told me they don't offer any, even on their business accounts. Not sure if that has changed any or not. Also, I'm not sure what DNS issues you'll have.

On top of that you may have bandwidth issues - but maybe not. You're mileage may vary.

As for Apache: No perl, PHP, mySQL, or all the other good stuff do not come packaged with Apache. Think of them as modules that you must go and download and install. Its not painful - just need to do some reading and tweaking (which is healthy anyways since you'll want to lock down your own box).