I want a road bike really bad

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by spyder2581, Oct 16, 2007.

1. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

I just want to ride and don't have much money. I have been checking out older bikes, simply because they are cheap and they can still be pretty fast. I found some honda vf1100 sabres, KZ1000's and Suzuki gs1000's(or 1100). Anyone ever own any of these and whats your opinion out of the three. Anything else that would be better for the price thats got a bigger motor in it. I am 6'3 so I need to find a bike that doesn't look to small for me as well

2. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

First bike?

3. noxxs

noxxs New Member

it doesnt matter that you're bigger. i'm 6'2" and started out with a 1986 Suzuki GS450 and it was still fast even when it ran like shit. truth is, if you start out with a liter bike, you're more than likely to get into trouble. maybe not your first, or second time out, or even your first year riding. but that time you feel like you know it all and get on the gas, and then realize you dont know how to turn with your front wheel unloaded.

check the performance of the smaller sport bikes, they'll be plenty fast.

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

This is an ongoing myth that needs to be addressed.
    The newer 600cc sportbikes that everyone keeps pointing out as a great starter bike have similar numbers to older liter bikes and I don't recommend them as starter bikes.

Hell some 600cc sportbikes can put in close to similar numbers as their literbike counterparts due to torque/weight differences. (ie, a GSXR600 in quarter mile is close to GSXR1000)

Actually if it was a choice between an older bike like a KZ1000 or Sabre vs. a new 600cc crotchrocket for a first bike, I would recommend the older bike hands down. The crotchrocket is more likely to "get you into trouble" for the following reasons...

the "racing" style/handling
    peer pressure
    similar horsepower in a lighter, higher revving package.
    easier options to buy to increase that horsepower

As for the big older bikes they are great for all around use. You also don't have to worry about "growing out of it" as any of the ones you listed can go from a commuter around town to the ability to toss on a windshield and saddlebags and take you across the country in relative comfort without strain.
    Also insurance will be alot cheaper simply because they are older standards and not newer crotchrockets.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  5. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

Who points out 600s as great starter bikes?

and yeah, I'm 6'2" and have done multiple 400+ mile days on an EX250... and not just any EX250, mine has clipons. It's not that bad.

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

just about every thread in OT regarding starter bikes always ends up with 600-650s as recommendations while the older bikes like the OP mentioned as "deathtraps"

7. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

saying "600-650s" is making me think that you're refering to a SV650/Ninja 650 in the same class as a 600. Simply not true, at all. The SV is a fantastic starter bike, and should not be compared at all to a 600. Off topic I know, but yeah 650's are wicked starter bikes.

8. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

what makes them different from 600cc repliracers in comparison to my list?
    He's asking about older literbikes though due to cost and insurance and in that regard, any of them would nice bikes for his size and what he's looking for.

9. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

big difference between 600s and 650s. the ninja 650 and sv650 are nowhere near as fast as modern 600s.

10. aCab

aCab New Member

And a lot more forgiving. :bigthumb:

11. Fotenks

Fotenks New Member

I'm getting my first bike too. Put the deposit down on a 2008 Ninja 250r, Comes in December :embd:

12. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

I would rather have an older bike anyways. I have found some of the sabers for really cheap that are in great condition. I was just wondering if anyone had one of these before. If I could afford it, I would probably buy a new buell(sticking around harleys).

I am not a noob to riding motorcycles(learned to ride when I was 3, did some motocross as well, ride my dads full dresser all the time), I am just looking to see who thought was the best bike out of the older ones. I am looking for something good all around. I will be riding it every chance I get

13. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

Thanks, you seem to be the one who understands the most what I am asking here

14. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I've owned a KZ1000 and GS1000E, ridden the Sabre and still wouldn't mind owning one.

Sabre has a bit more power than the other 2 and still pretty much a cult icon (along with the Magna) so finding one in good condition is probably going to be in the 2000-3000 range.

All 3 of them are great rides with more than enough power to take you and a full set of loaded bags and a passenger on long distance trips but also mellow enough to handle in town riding all day long.

As for insurance, they should all be pretty much the same as they all fall into the "standard" category. As for parts and working on them..
    Older the bike, the easier it is to wrench, but also harder to find parts but all 3 have huge groups so parts aren't that hard. (just remember though that the more in demand they are, the more expensive parts get. Supply and demand)

V4 on the Sabre is smoother than the straight 4 on the other two, but also a bit more of a pain in the butt to service.

As for ride, it's going to come down to personal preference.

15. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

I test rode a sabre and I liked it. I have been looking around for some more and found that about $2000 will get me one in the condition that I am looking for. I am probably going to to wait until after christmas (hoping that I will find some great deals). Thanks for all the info :bigthumb:

16. noxxs

noxxs New Member

where in michigan are you? i know a bunch of salvage yards for jap bikes around the mid michigan area if you end up going with something older. my post earlier was more geared toward a new rider, but looks like you have experience so get something you can get a good deal for. it seems like the older you go, the more all the japenses bikes look the same.

17. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

I am located in Grand Rapids right now, but my parents house is near the detroit area, so I have a pretty big area I can cover in the state. Where are they yards at? Also, what bikes would you recommend?

18. noxxs

noxxs New Member

there's slick's salvage in mason (south of lansing), they have stuff for old and new bikes, mostly japenese, they have a lot of tracks and skis for snowmoblies, and some stuff for jet skis. i bought my last bike (wrecked w/salvage title) from these guys and they gave me a really good deal, not only on the bike, but on parts for it too.

there is also eastern michigan cycle salvage in yale (right outside of the flint-ypsi area). their yard is massive, they seemed a little bit expensive, but it seemed like they had everything imaginable. they'll point you in the right direction, and you can spend hours digging through boxes and shelves of parts.

19. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

just curious, what bike did you get from them?

20. noxxs

noxxs New Member

i got a 99 Suzuki TL1000S for $1800 with about 6400 miles on the odo. it wasnt in terrible shape, but it needed plastics, a radiator, new rear tire and other various parts. they usually have a lot of good deals, but i've always gone to check out the bikes in person, i don't know how up to date their website is.