i want a printtaaaaaaar

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, Oct 15, 2008.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

needs:

cheap & cheap to run. This is for printing notes, I hardly even need colour.
    uses little space. I can only have a small spot for it.
    ready to work on Ubuntu (dont worry about this if you don't know)

It would also be nice if it had an ethernet port so it can be on the network at home during the summer.

because of space I don't think an all in one is for me, but photocopying & scanning would be appreciable. I have to get a look at my space tho.

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

how much will you print? in general, cheap up front means more expensive per print and cheap per print is more expensive up front. i don't know if it is a hard and fast rule, but that was always the case that i saw with HP printers. cheap printers had small ink cartridges that cost just as much as the bigger ones for the more expensive printers. so, you got half the ink for the same price.

if you are only printing black and white, you could prolly get a laser printer.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'll never, ever, ever buy a printer without an ethernet port. Which I think drives the price out of your range, but I swear to god its WORTH IT.

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

5. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Thanks for the input.

I'd go for laser but all the ones I've seen are much too big. I need one that is not much wider that an A4 page. Actually, if a laser is not much bigger than an A4 page but uses vertical height that would do the trick for me. Gotta try and get my ass to a computers shop this weekend.
    How much does a bad choice of printer cost on ink per page of print could anyone guess? In college it costs 8c/page to print black & white, would I be saving much of this even with a bad one?

I won't be printing much, like 10 pages a week, I guess. I want this for convenience just.

Here's pictures of my space:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

dumb thing is there's no hole behind that desk-looking thing, its just boarded to the wall, so I cant run cables out behind it, so the printer (and the computer) must sit ontop of it.

It will be nicer when I have a nice Eee PC or similar and can throw that computer out (essentially)

6. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

if you clean that up, you can probably fit most printers

7. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

If I have my computer hanging out of my window, that is true. Or if I rotate my printer.

Printers are much too big.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you could also get an all in one computer like the HP Touchsmart or an iMac.

is this your desk? can you drill a hole in it?

by the way, do you live in a prison or something? what's with the tiny room and the painted cinder block walls?

9. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

its a detention center actually.

lol no. our campus first year building = prison cells, but we love it.

I doubt I am allowed the drill a hole, but I could ask.

I think I will go with laser. I can stand quite a bit of vertical height. It's more expensive and will only do monotone for me but it will work and I'll need to mess with toner less than I would with ink, and also spend less on that.

I could get an all in one computer, but subnotebooks are very very cheap and my biggest problem with this computer is that it's highly unPortable. I want a notebook with hsdpa so I can be connected to the internet anywhere I am (and costing less on a student deal than our accomodation broadband), and I want it to be small and have great battery life and an SSD with at least 8 gigs and good ram and cpu. So in short, I'm still waiting.