I want a new computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by handbeezy ༼ つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ༽つ, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handbeezy ༼ つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ༽つ

handbeezy ༼ つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ༽つ Squatters Rights OT Supporter

Right now, I have an iMac, and i love it to death, but i just cant handle not being able to use .exe files any more.
    What kind of PC's are hot on the scene right now? I play games,music,download, everything.
    Any reccomendations that are semi-reasonable priced?

2. DweeLer

DweeLer New Member

Building Yourself > Buying from Company (Lets say Dell): It will be about 200-500 dollars cheaper if you build it yourself. Trust me, I build computers for a living. If you want a good gaming PC i would definately build it myself. The more stuff you are gonna add to their basic pc's, the higher the price rises. They charge crazy prices for adding a stick of memory, speakers, video cards, or any shit like that. Not to mention their PC's are hard to upgrade.

Dell > Building Yourself: An upside to ordering from Dell is you can sometimes get a free Printer or flat panel monitor for discount. and also, if you like messing with them, rebates.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i would agree with this, upwards of spending at least $1k to build a "gaming system" with the latest and greatest video hardware, etc. It is much cheaper, for a mid-line system, to buy from somebody like Dell or HP

4. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

It may be cheaper but definantly won't yeild a better computer. I want a quality machine that I know is going to last and for the same price if not a little more I can get exactly what I want in a good quality machine.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

I won't agrue with that, but as long as you have the money to spend.

6. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Some on here a while ago said this and it hit me,

you aren't really going to notice if you save money and buy a slower computer nearly as much as if you save money and has a cheaper computer the gives you major issues.

Basically I would rather have a slower quality computer then a faster cheap computer. It seems common sense but when it comes to computers it seems the majority of comsumers don't care about quality, just cheapness and speed.

7. AO

AO New Member

What programs are you looking at? If they're .exe files then you're looking at Window programs. Macs use .dpm files for OSX, so the shareware program you're looking at may not be available. So then the question becomes what functionality are you missing? If it's just games then you'll probably have to go Windows, in which case what do you mean "reasonable"? $1000?

What's hot right now will cost you the usual, $1500 - $2500: $200 mobo, $400 cpu, $400 vidcard, $100 psu, $200 - $400 RAM, $200 case, $200 hdds, $100 dvdrw, $50 mouse, $50 keyboard. Monitors are $100 - $1500. Most people probably settle on $500 monitors.

What's hot right now is dual processors, SLI video cards and SATA-II capable mobos and disk drives. I'd wait until DDR2-800/PC6400 RAM becomes the norm. That'll probably be in another year.

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

only reason i would ever suggest buying a manufactured computer is when you are looking for a LOW END system.

From Dell, you can get a pretty decent rig, monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse, operating system, software all for $299 (plus warranty). THAT's hard to beat when buying parts/software individually.

but for a gaming/high-end computer its almost always cheaper to do it yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.