I want a bike so damn bad that I'm forced to make a thread about it

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Papa Sil, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

*** EDIT: Please give me your opinions on the Yamaha FZ6 and see post 15 - http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=99156983&postcount=15 ***

I used to ride off road a while ago. It was fun while it lasted and while I was young. Now, for the last 2 years or so I've been wanting to get a bike so friggin' bad - the urge now is almost over whelming.

I'm looking at a great deal on a 2005 SV 650. Great condition, one owner, very low miles for around 5000. Comes with all riding gear and rain gear, but all of which are a bit small for me so I would probably sell them after wards. Don't know if I'm going to be able to pick this one up before it sell's, though.

Now, this will be my first road bike. I'm going with the SV 650 primarily due to the extensive amount of research ad reading I have been doing (thanks to you guys). I also really like the look of it. I'm also not even looking for the power output of a super sport bike. I'm good enough on this type.

A questions about the SV... How does it ride long distances? Does any one have experience riding on this bike for a longer period of time? I've tried on a few sportier bikes and I can say that there would be no way possible for me to go on a long trip on one of those. Granted, the SV doesn't offer too much more comfort. I'm also not talking about a inter-state trip. Just something I can ride all day long without wanting to hop off and stretch all of the time.

I used to be a motorcycle and powersports insurance agent with GEICO (please, no death threats. I was in sales, not claims). In doing so, I was put through extensive bike training and research (they make all of the agents in that dept. do so. So, if you're with GEICO, we actually know what a motorcycle is there) A co-worker of mine there is also a MSF instructor. I will be partaking in one of his classes here real soon - Before I purchase my bike.

Honestly, I needed to make this topic because I want to join *bike crew* so bad. A few of my friends have bikes and just seeing them go out for a ride together on nhice days is killing me.

I shall update as my time draws near. So, here's to keeping the rubber side down. Cheers.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

allthatshitbyme.jpg

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

you and me both man. unfortunately i have way too much stuff to do to my car this summer, no bike for me :hs:

4. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

SV650 is a great bike to start out with.

5. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

the SV is a good bike to learn on, especially if you have some dirt experience.

as far as comfort... no clue, mine had clipons and rearsets and was uncomfortable as hell for me :o but it was nowhere near stock

6. i64X

i64X New Member

MSRP on a brand new SV650 with a warranty is $5999.

7. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

The two dealerships I went to around here were around $6800.00-$7000.00.

Not to mention it coming with all the gear (that doesn't fit me). I would most definately haggle with the guy, though.

8. i64X

i64X New Member

Was it for the SV650F model? Those are around $6800.

Standard SV650 with a round headlight with no ABS should be $5999. If the dealers don't have them for that, I'd find new dealers, cuz that's what they cost.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/SV650K8

9. Junkie

it's possible that you can't find one for a good price near him... it's certainly true for 08 ninja 250s

10. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

:rofl: Thats what pushed me over the edge. Even though I could barely afford it, I couldn't take sitting at home while my buddies were out riding.

11. i64X

i64X New Member

VA must suck for bikes then. The dealer near my work has 3 or 4 Ninja 250s in there right now, all marked for $3800 out the door. They had a nice SV650 "on sale" for $5700 + tax and whatnot, though it was a left over 2007 model (not like it matters, since they're the same). I got my FJR for $11,9 + tax and whatever, and MSRP on that is $13,899.

Lots of people around here have bikes... they must just get and push a lot of inventory I guess.

12. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

:bowdown: That's exactly what I was looking for!

I know! A good friend of mine, this woman, started out on a Ninja 250, then went to their 500, now shje just purchased an 07 GSX-R. Her and a couple other people I know always tell me about the awesome weather they had on their ride and how awesome it was to go riding, yadda, yadda, etc.... :hsd:

I have been told that the area I live in does suck as far as prices go for new bikes. It's definitely a sellers market around here :hs:

13. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

14. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

So, I took my weekly visit to the bike shop today and was talked to about the Yamaha FZ6 :eek3:

That bike just so happens to have everything I want in a bike. The only thing that would sort of draw me away as a first-time buyer would be the fact that it's a straight 4, de-tuned R6 engine, but even then it's hard to say no.

The bike was gorgeous, too :drool:

What are your opinions on this bike? :x:

15. Junkie

It's a good bike, but the one I rode didn't seem that good... I'd go with an SV instead

16. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

What wasn't that good to you about the bike when you rode it?

17. V!

V! New Member

SV650 ftw

18. Papa Sil

Papa Sil Privileged User

Not a fan of the FZ6, either? :o

19. toezter

toezter New Member

can't really say its a 'de-tuned' r6. as in you won't be able to "build it up" with r6 parts to make it an r6 engine. two completely different engines.

however, i do like the fz6, great ergos, but i think its a tad heavier than the sv.

if you're going for a bike just to get back into the swing of things, go for whats the best deal on the market AND for insurance. further down the road, then you can be picky.

but as long as we're on the topic of v-twin boners, i'll put my suggestion for a honda hawk...droool. if you're lucky enough to find one that is.

20. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You've found a bike that you like and it sounds like you like it a lot. Who gives a fuck what we think? Make your choice and if it isn't a good bike for you, sell it and find another one that does work for you.

Thing is, someone may diminish your ideas of the bike simply because of some aspect that didn't appeal to them. Yet for you, it wasn't even an issue but it might become one because of what they said. Is this really a good thing? I don't think so. I mean you might have been perfectly happy with the bike without realizing this issue.

Not trying to be rude just food for thought.

21. Matt550

Matt550 New Member

I bought an 2007 FZ6 as my first bike about 3-4 weeks ago. I love it. Perfect for what I need in a bike. I like that you sit more upright then bent over like other sport bikes. Ive done a couple rides with friends, nothing major just 50-60 mile trips around the city for a bite to eat then cruise around.

22. LiveSideways

LiveSideways Two bitches at the same time, synchronized swimmer

My 08 SV was a blast, awesome powerband for riding in traffic. I paid $6100 out the door including all the fees and a 3 year warranty for mine, I don't know about $5k for a used one. I looked at FZ6's as well and just didnt like the ergos (I'm 6'4"). I think the SV looks better too. To each his own though.

23. Junkie

I didn't ride it much but GODDAMN the FI on it sucked

24. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

i got the fz1 as my 1st bike, got flamed but still here, get the fz1 & dont look back, i think u will outgrow the fz6....in terms of power, im not that much impressed with my fz1 anymore. i wish it had more midrange heh. i still like it alot tho. Think if i can ever get an FCE ill be set heh