GUN I want a 1911, but....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Dec 7, 2007.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

...I don't think my hands are big enough to use one effectively.

I shot a 1911 for the first time last nite. It was a Colt Mark IV (?) Commander sized. While they gun shot fine, I can't seem to work any of the controls due to my hands being so small. Hammer was difficult to get leverage on, safety was a bit difficult to opperate, and I couldn't even TOUCH the slide release which required me to either use two hands to get at it, or readjust my grip. The grip just felt HUGE.

Anyone else have this problem? This sucks, since I really want one (or 10). :wtc:

Small hands FTL. :sadwavey:

2. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I have 2 1911s

one 1911 one 1911A1, colt and RIA respectively, both full sized.

First of all with the OEM grip safeties I don't ahve a problem thumbing the hammer, though I have installed a high rise beaver tail and a commander styler hammer on the A1 which makes getting a thumb on the hammer a PIA and the commander style hammer is harder to use really (for thumbing) though I find this a small price to pay, I like the way the gun feels with the new parts and honestly I don't think the hammer. The hammer gets cocked when I rack the slide and the safety placed on. The only reason to thumb the hammer IMO is to make the slide easier to rack, having the hammer down and a round in the chamber means you decocked it by pulling the trigger and holding the hammer, which is just inviting a problem. Regardless normal hammers are easier to thumb.

The safety I'm not sure about, both of my are easy to use, though I know from experience from other guns and swapping parts, if the safety isn't properly fitted to the gun it can be tough if it works at all.

The slide release I honestly don't know what to tell you, when I grip the gun my weak hand thumb rest on the frame parallel to the slide right besides the slide lock.

As for the grips, the only thing you can do about that is get some slim line grips they will narrow it down a little bit.

FYI

Commander Style Hammer

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_hammers_comm.asp

My RIA OEM hammer style

http://www.dawson-trading.com/IMAGES/Rock Island.jpg

3. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

FWIW, I'm 6'6" and have a hard time using the slide stop to release the slide without adjusting my grip. As DWI said, if I'm not just gripping the slide to release it then I'll just use my support hand.

4. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Skip the slide stop and slingshot it.

5. MTech

MTech New Member

really?? 1911's always seem so thin to me that's one thing I love about them. That's what really got me on to the M&P w/ the small grips. I'm probably getting a 1911 in the near future but I'm up in the air on brands.. there's many diff. grips let alone actual sizes on them did you try something smaller... even a Ultra Carry you can get good accuracy from them and they're a nice size very easy to conceal.

6. feetball

feetball New Member

forget about the 1911 ... go get a desert eagle .50ACP ... it'll fit much better.

7. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

:hsugh:

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

I too have smaller hands and I shoot a 1911 competitvely with out problem. I just index my grip to reach teh slide stop. But I also have an extended slide stop so it makes it easier. I'm still used to indexing (flicking my wrist to swing the gun to point high and left, to get my thumb up the frame of the gun)

[​IMG]

Wilson Extended slide stop was only 30 bux.

9. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

[​IMG]

Could always get this for your baby hands.

10. Slick26

I have a buddy with an EMP. Its actually pretty nice.

11. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:werd:

I'd own one if it was $500 not $1000 :mamoru:

12. Slick26

Ditto.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

yeah, I've got one of those too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been nothing but SWEET for me. I've only got 250 rounds through her, but they've all be flawless. Shoots as accurate as my G17, with the sweet 1911 feel. I only wish it had more capacity. But I think it's worth the extra cheese.

14. Slick26

No shit? Imagine that.

15. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

Can we get like a picture of your hands against like a ruler or something.
    Also whats wrong with using two hands?

16. AustinL911

Eh, nothing wrong with it I suppose. I've just always been of the opinion that it'd be helpful (in a defensive situation) to be able to operate the weapon with one hand, incase the other is unusable.

As for never needing to thumb the hammer, that's probably true. I was just messing with the controls on it before loading it up for some test firing. It's just something I noticed.

An extended slide stop would really be helpful, and I didn't really give a thought to that. I've got one on my G23 and it made a world of difference, along with all the other extended controls.

Overall though, the gun just felt fat. I'd hate to see what a 2011 feels like. I always thought 1911s were supposed to be pretty thin being a single stack.
    This one was a series 80, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help and opinion folks. I'd really like a fullsize, so scratch the EMP. I might have to go to the gun shop this weekend to handle some of the different models. They've got a Springfield Loaded 1911 that I fell in love with the other night. :drool:

17. MTech

MTech New Member

18. AustinL911

Yea, I know. Any recommendations?

19. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

20. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=1911+slimline+grips&btnG=Google+Search

I also enjoy practicing from time to time strong hand a weak hand single handed shooting and for a real life situation in is a good thing to have. I carry on the right side, but in the car I have in off me and to the left so that its not pinned under the seatbelt.

However you are practicing using one hand with the understanding that you might be unable to use your other hand for some reason (like injured or pinned) in which case using two hand would not be a viable option. However if the slide is locked back it more than likely means your magazine will be empty. So in this situation you have to drop the magazine, find a second magazine, (if you are carrying one) remove it from its clipped holster/your pocket, feed it into the magazine well and then release the slide.

Just something to think about, I'm not saying its impossible with an injured hand, but it would be damn hard and if you could do all that you would probably be able to hit the slide release.

Or you could always get an extended like has been mentioned already.

That would make absolutely zero difference.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?p=6429

basically the only difference with an 80 series and prior 1911s is that the 80s have a firing pin block.