I wanna start up my own business...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Alvin, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Alvin

Alvin New Member

Just looking for some pointers on how to get things started...

How much should I charge for a wash/wax/vac... from high to low - obviously an extremely dirty car would cost a little more and a frequent customer would be a little cheaper.

What kind of products should I use?

Other than a vinyl decal on my back glass how should I advertise?

What do consumers want to hear when they call me?

And just any other pointers or tips in general about the business... I've been unprofessionally doing my own cars for quite a while now and it just seems like fun to start doing something I love doing and making some cash while I'm at it.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Your best bet is to register at http://autopia.org and read through the professional detailer's forum.

BTW, doing your own cars vs a minivan with nasty swirls and an interior that looks like a landfill is a lot different.

3. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Amen Scott!
    The only ones that are easy are my weekly and some of my bi-weeklys.
    They ain't gonna call you if it was easy for them to keep clean.

4. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Consider getting a small business loan of about $12k to do it right. You'll have the money for:

1. Proper van or detailing trailer (http://www.rightlook.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=832)
    2. Van/truck graphics (~$2k)
    3. Brochures, cards, etc.
    4. Training (~$2k)

I cannot stress training enough. With entry level tools and no formal training, you will take 6-8 hours to detail each car at a professoinal level. Add travel/set up/break down time, and you can only do 1 car a day. With training and pro tools...4 hours each car, 2 cars a day. You'll quickly pay off your tools and training when you can double your production.

Rightlook.com offers training that I've heard so-so reviews about. Kleen Car's training is reupted to be very good (http://www.1car-detailing-training.com/car_detailing_training_html/car-detailing-training-classschedule.htm)

If you're uneasy about spendinig $12k upfront, spend 2 months detailing part time. If you an handle it physically, if your customers are happy with your work, and if you're good at marketing yourself (ask for referals, walk up to people in public with dirty cars, hang flyers at auto repair shops), spend the $12k to go pro.

5. Alvin

Alvin New Member

:bowdown: exactly the response I was hoping to get.

Much appreciated

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I spent about $200 to get started. Been in business full time more than 12 years now. You don't have to get a trailer, pressure washer, ect with products like Optimum No Rinse Wash, plus no need to buy a water containment system either.

Again, your best bet is to register at autopia and read through the pro forum, lots of tips on starting out without a huge cash outlay, how to market your business, how to network pricing, what services to offer, plus the machine polishing and product discussion forums will help you refine your technique.

Starting your own business is far too involved to break it down to a simple single thread sized answer.

7. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

:werd:

You dont have to start with the biggest best, greatest stuff.

I think all total with ALL of the detail supplys ive bought over the last few years, ive only spent close to a grand. ANd tis all paid itself off the first time ive used it.