WEB I wanna start a website/forum...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AustinL911, Mar 24, 2008.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

...and I have no idea where to begin. I've never even researched into it before. Nothing extravagent, just nice looking and functional.

Where do I begin?

How much $$$ am I looking at to start up something simple? I'd like to rent/buy server space and bandwidth if I could somewhere. My home connection couldn't hang with a fulltime website.

Thoughts for a complete beginner?

:sadwavey:

2. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

And what is your target audience?

3. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

12 dollars to start a forum..... doman + Host + phpbb3 = forum

4. Robb

Robb Guest

well said, your other option is going w/ vbulletin, but its ~120/yr for a license, phpbb offers a lot of great features, arguably the best free forum software, and hosting is ~8/month at Hostgator.

A domain will set you back about ~$7.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'd love to offer any advice. I run a small (~500 member) forum

5. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

just like its been posted before. you probably wont need more than $20 to start.

it is VERY hard to start a forum. you need to have a very specific audience to get members to join. you also need to have something worth registering for.

i run a small forum of about 800 members, and its a lot of trial and error.

6. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

Like others said, it's very hard to start a forum but if you have a clear plan as how to gain members then I say invest the money and go with vB. I have 2 forums, one has about 2k members and 250k posts and one with about 70 members and 3k posts ( started about 3 weeks ago). Both are running vB. From what I've learned with my first one, you can't just start a forum by yourself. You need a group of core members that will help keep the board active and attact members. After that, it's lots of invitation and information on your forum.

7. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

As the others said, you need to find a target audience, fill the forum with content worth replying to, and advertise to get new members, I run a forum with 4k people with all word of mouth advertising. Gonna start google ads today.

8. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Damn. That's waaaaaay cheaper than I was expecting. And I didn't realize the setup was as simple as you make it seem. As you say though, recruiting will probably be the difficult part, but I think I've got a good base to recruit from.

Thanks for the insight.

9. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

You could also just buy a dead or slow forum for cheaper and rebuild the traffic, which like everyone said, is the hard part.

Unless you know for a fact that it will take off I'd go the free/cheap route and just use phpbb3 on some basic shared hosting. If it ever picks up then it would be easier to justify spending more on the script and there are tools to port the forum over to vbulletin.

I'm selling a graphics forum that has pretty much no traffic right now if interested lol ;). But probably more than you would want to spend because it has vbulletin and vbseo.

10. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

I run a forum using phpbb, which like mentioned is free. If you go to phpbb.org you'll find a link to a place that hosts forums for free. I don't know the nitty gritty of the free offer, but I'm sure there are limitations on what you can do, but it's a cheap way to get started.

For myself, I already have a good hosting plan for other sites, so no additional cost there, the only cost was $30 domain reg from Enom.

11. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

my forum hit 200 members yesterday and its been open since 1/17/08..... i just opened a new forum too, which appeals to a broader audience, but i havent filled it up yet so theres not a ton of activity.

12. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

phpbb is actually pretty decent. You have to always work to stop the spam bots but it does have a decent amount of features, tons of free mods and templates and of course is free. Obviously not as good as VB but not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be...especially to start a forum.

Anyone have any sports related sites that would want to trade links with my sports forums? lol

13. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

i have a forum that's already semi-established, if you don't want to go through the hassle of buying a domain and setting it up, you can you mine ;) fully licensed vBulletin, dedicated host.... I link to it off my other websites if people feel like discussing those topics, it gets a fair amount of traffic. If interested let me know.

14. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

Also, another free forum software I like is Simple Machines Forum. It's really good with a lot of people behind it.

15. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

PM me some info about it too :o

I might be interested.

16. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

:cool: info. may i ask if the forum is lucrative for you? or is it just a hobby?

i have a couple of ides for a forum, and am wondering if they can make a modest amount of money

17. rwdftw

rwdftw Guest

just copy OT...start with just offtopic, copy interesting threads, then make like 20 fake accounts and reply with them. i.e see a funny delt smash reply by bateman....ctrl c ctrl v

18. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

MyBB looks interesting as well for a Vbull clone.

My latest venture I plan to use this and an idea I borrowed from yuppy.