LGBT I uploaded Brokeback Mountain for you guys *Link*

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by bioyuki, Oct 21, 2005.

1. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  2. sholnay

sholnay New Member

ok ok... i love you.

3. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

IAedit :fawk:

4. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

hey! I sent you that like 2 weeks ago. where's the love for me? :madfawk:

:hsugh:

5. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

Thanks, bioyuki!!! :big grin:

I'm so psyched to read this...

6. BlondieAMC

BlondieAMC New Member

Thanks for the link...i can't wait till the movie comes out.

7. sholnay

sholnay New Member

lol, dont worry ceddy - my original post was supporting you :) but bioyuki has some sort of pull on me.... :big grin:

8. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

:hs: damn. Hoping it was the movie.

reading is sooooo 20th century. :greddy:

9. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

I wuv you. Does that count? :noes:

10. cedric

:kiss: it helps...

11. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

...and the award for best review of a movie EVER goes to

[​IMG]
    Link => http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/_/id/6169704?pageid=rs.ReviewsMovieArchive&pageregion=mainRegion&rnd=1133391727828&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.1212

12. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Ang Lee reworks the classic Western and gives 'pardner' a new meaning -- two straight actors learn to be lovers

Ruthe Stein, Chronicle Senior Movie Writer
    Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Director Ang Lee rode into town Monday, not on a horse but on a wave of high hopes. He arrived for the premiere of "Brokeback Mountain," often described as a gay cowboy movie.

"I prefer to think of it as a gay love story. Calling it a gay cowboy movie sounds like 'Blazing Saddles,' " Lee told the audience at the Embarcadero, who had paid $139 a ticket to be the first to see the controversial film about itinerant ranch hands in 1960s Wyoming swept away by their emotions. The screening benefited Frameline, sponsors of the San Francisco International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Film Festival.

By far the most prestigious picture that's been made about a homosexual relationship, "Brokeback Mountain" took top honors at the Venice Film Festival and is being touted for several Oscar categories, including a best actor nod for Heath Ledger and supporting actor for Jake Gyllenhaal as the lovers.

Accepting the roles of cowboys who carry on a clandestine affair for two decades was thought to be a risk for the co-stars. "From my perspective, I only wanted to do a good movie. I didn't care if their careers were doomed after that," Lee said with a laugh during his introductory remarks.

"Brokeback Mountain" opens here Dec. 9, the same day as in the critical New York and Los Angeles markets. Focus Features, the film's distributor, decided it made sense to open early in San Francisco in the hope that an enthusiastic response from the city's large gay population would help the film cross over into multiplexes in Middle America.

If the response Monday evening was any indication, "Brokeback" should do very well in this part of the West. The sold-out crowd sat transfixed in the early scenes when Ledger as Ennis Del Mar and Gyllenhaal as Jack Twist are hired to herd sheep together on the regal mountain from which the title comes.

On a chilly night, Jack invites his work partner into his tent to keep warm. Jack takes the sleepy Ennis' hand, and the two begin to kiss. Initially reluctant, Ennis is overcome by lust. The only sounds are of them moaning and of their belts being hastily unbuckled.

From the time Lee began working on the film, based on Annie Proulx's memorable 1997 New Yorker short story, he decided to imply more than he showed in the men's first sexual encounter.

"Some people will see the sex scene as pretty bland, but for others it will be too heavy. For me, it's just right," Lee recently told me. The lovemaking is intended to imply that this is no wild one-night stand but the spark for a deeply felt forbidden love affair that would intensify over the years. Ennis and Jack's inability to control their excitement as they wait to see each other again for the first time in four years provoked some laughter at the San Francisco premiere.

The ads play up their romantic as well as sexual attachment, depicting the actors in cowboy hats looking pensive with the words "Love is a force of nature."

Ledger describes himself and Gyllenhaal as "friendly associates" before they became co-stars. "We shared the same agency so often we would be dragged along to the same gatherings."

No one they pay for advice tried to dissuade the actors from playing gay characters. Once Lee, the Oscar-winning director of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," whose work also includes "The Wedding Banquet" and "Sense and Sensibility," came onboard, the consensus was that "Brokeback Mountain" would be a high-quality project. Ledger had appeared as a gay man before in an Australian TV series. "He was really mild, and it was a terrible show and I was terrible in it," he recalled. So it didn't prepare him for the sexual intimacy he would have to portray. He and Gyllenhaal never really discussed it.

"The one thing we did agree on was that we had both committed ourselves to this story," Ledger said. "We were up to our knees in it. We really respected each other for being brave enough to play these characters. But the process wasn't as collaborative as I thought it was going to be. It was more segregated in terms of how we prepared. Ang individually took us aside and gave us notes on the development of our characters. I didn't know what Ang had told Jake. We had our own private little life figured out for Ennis and Jack, and then we met up on the screen.

"It was such an awkward story, such a lonely, powerful story that it became a lonely experience making the movie."

At the actors' request, their lovemaking was not rehearsed first. "That would have been too awkward," Ledger said. More than most sex scenes are, it was choreographed down to the minutest detail. Lee took a whole morning shooting 13 takes of the two getting passionate in the tent.

"I only stopped to change rolls. I didn't want to break their concentration," he recalled. "The countenance on their faces, everything they did seems very genuine. When you are watching, you are almost embarrassed for them. I think they are pretty brave."

Laughing, Gyllenhaal compares his experience with the intimacy he's had to feign with actresses. "I've done sex scenes with women I haven't been attracted to at all and some with women I probably shouldn't be as attracted to as I was. I'd say Heath fits somewhere in between."

For Ledger, the only way to get through it was to stay in character. "If for a second I stopped and realized this is Heath kissing Jake, then it would have freaked me out and I would not have been able to do it convincingly."

Obviously, Ledger didn't feel the same about his time in bed with Michelle Williams, who gives a heart-wrenching performance as Ennis' wife. The two fell in love on the set and became the parents of a baby girl earlier this month.

Early in the casting process, Ledger and Gyllenhaal both saw themselves as Ennis. "Jack is more gay than Ennis and, being more gay, he's more open and macho, more willing to take risks," Gyllenhaal said. "I thought Ang would see me as the introverted character because that's the kind of roles I usually do."

Ledger, who was considered for Jack first, admits that he couldn't make sense of him. "I really didn't know how to play him. Ennis I immediately understood."

Like a wise coach, Lee ultimately decided how to make the best use of his players, and after seeing the movie, it's hard to imagine the main roles reversed.

It's also difficult to imagine why, coming off of directing "Hulk," Lee chose this small, offbeat drama. "I cannot think of anything further away from me than gay ranch hands in Wyoming," said Lee, who grew up in Taiwan and lives in New York with his wife and two sons. But Proulx's story -- especially the vivid image of Ennis' plaid shirt hanging inside his lover's, "the sleeves carefully worked down inside Jack's sleeves'' -- had stayed in his mind. "It was pulling my guts. There's something very powerful about the writing."

Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana's screenplay, which convincingly fleshes out the sparse story, had made the rounds. At one point, Gus Van Sant, the openly gay director of "Drugstore Cowboy," became interested but couldn't raise enough money to do it the way he envisioned. "Brokeback's" budget ultimately was $13 million, substantially larger than what Van Sant had asked for, partly because of Lee's box-office record and partly because of his long association with James Schamus, a founder of Focus Features.

"Some people maybe feel a gay director is the right person to do this movie. But I don't think whether a filmmaker is gay or if the actors are gay matters. They have to be sensitive. They have to make it real and think beyond sexuality to romance. To me it's called 'Brokeback Mountain' because it's about the illusion of love. We can all relate to the love we miss out on."

E-mail Ruthe Stein at [email protected].

Page E - 1

13. cedric

Geez, when was the SF premiere? I drove by the Embarcadero 2 weeks ago and there was some sort of movie showing goin on there. Seemed like a pretty huge deal :eek3:

Did anyone else read the Jake Gyllenhaal interview...I think it might've been in last month's GQ? He said something about not thinking that Jack and Ennis were gay :ugh2: I have a feeling that comment was intended to be positive and imply that sexuality isn't as black and white as people may think, but despite what he said, they are indeed gay.

14. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Premiere is still set for the 9th but there are earlier screenings. Ang Lee, Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal were all available for interview on 11/28 in SF...I missed out :hs:

15. cedric

you get the chloroform, I'll get the van. grab Jake, and meet me around the corner. And make sure nobody sees you this time. I'm not going through that whole thing again like we did when we tried to "meet" Eric Bana :squint:

16. CoCo

:mamoru: (..in for vids.)

17. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

:eek3: :x:

18. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

The guy I know who went said Jake is such a nice guy which only makes me wanna bone him more :hs:

But yeah, Eric Bana is a fucking hottie.

19. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

Darn, us people in the small towns have to wait until the 16th

20. Notorious R.I.E.

Notorious R.I.E. Queen Bee

or even later than the 16th. the 16th is just a limited release and THEN if it goes well after the new year it will be released to anyone who wants it. I still haven't found out if anywhere in metro ATL is gonna show it on the 16th.

ok edit I found ONE theater playing it in ATL starting the 16th. Yay

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  21. jordan04

We always get limited releases at Muvico. I guess cause we're like in between Baltimore and DC.

22. CoCo

...right.

23. jordan04

What's that supposed to mean? We do. What limited release haven't we gotten? Plus there's a huge brokeback mountain poster in the theatre.

24. CoCo

...calm down, fag, I was agreeing with ya.