I understand you all now.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by psyphre, Oct 21, 2003.

1. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

My friend was to drunk to drive on friday night. So i got to drive his 03 Firehawk :big grin: :bowdown: :drool:

I'm the only other one to drive it, even his family hasn't yet. he's had it over a year too.

So yeah, i'll still fuck around with my jap scrap, but i get it now. :bigthumb:

2. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

You must mean '02... no '03 birds or Camaro's :)

Glad you got to feel the visceral feeling of driving a modern day muscle car - not hating on the imports, but there's not much like it :)

3. 426Hemi

426Hemi Guest

The sound is an expierence unto itself as well. Good ole musclecar sound is unrivaled........except for going WOT on a Harley in a tunnel. Now that is something that touches you at your core of manhood ;)

4. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

I would also add the sound of a wastegate on a 500hp car sounds great too. Harleys sound like they are about to fall apart...as they often do. "Jap scrap" = well, you must have been driving shit to start with. The Firehawk is impressive though. Why buy a Vette when you could get a Firehak?

5. 426Hemi

426Hemi Guest

troglodyte, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Harley's often fall apart? If you are talking about old Ironheads, Knuckleheads, Panheads ect. ect. then that is fairly accurate, however, the same cannot be said about about the new Evo motors. They are extremely reliable and well put together. There is nothing more American in build, legend or sound than a Harley. Just my opinion but I can't see how you couldnt like the sound of a Harley, unless you are one of those that like the import fart-can sound.......

6. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

500hp on a NA car is more impressive, gimme a Viper any day :)

And Harley's don't come from the factory sounding like that, but most riders add aftermarket pipes pretty much right away, and the sound has become an American icon. While I don't ride, I've heard they are no where near as loud "stock" - I can't verify, because in all honesty, I don't think I've even seen one that didn't have an aftermarket system on it. Sound is a personal preference, some like sleepers, some like loud, some like a buzz, some like a rumble.

7. 426Hemi

426Hemi Guest

Stock dosen't sound nearly as good as modded. In fact they almost don't sound like a Harley with stock pipes, as strange as that sounds. I didn't have 100 miles on mine before I put some Vance&Hines on them.

Mojo-Getting some quality surfing at work I see.

8. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

I don't know what your talking about ;)

Hey, BTW, I won't be in tonight, taking the night off since it's supposed to be nice today - Gotta get some outside stuff done before the next cold front :(

9. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Ummmmmmmm, :bowdown: INDIAN. The sound is obnoxious but not much more than the riders themselves. I've done a few toy runs with Harley owners and they always ended in shit. People talking crap about how the import guys were popping wheelies and weaving on-off the road. Every show so its not just one spot. Yeah, the build quality has improved but its nowhere near import bike build yet. The V-Rod is bad ass and should be a harbinger of things to come, but so far Harley rides on its name and history alone.......

10. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Well, for one, Indian hardly has near the historic clout that Harley does. Second, if "import guys" were popping wheelies and weaving in and out of traffic, that's not exactly safe riding for public roads and they should be beaten instead of just "talked about", so count yourself lucky. And third, there are hundreds of thousands of US companies that ride on name and history alone, why should Harley be picked out because they make a genre of bikes you don't like?

I like sportbikes, I have a shitload of friends that ride 'em, and thankfully, none are as arrogant as you.

:rolleyes:

11. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Dude, I thought my post was easy to understand - they were talking SHIT about us doing that. That means they were LYING. I never happened at the three shows we rode at. Fuck, after 3 we said to hell with it and I am yet to meet Harley people that has changed this perception. If we were popping wheelies and being a nuisance then we would have deserved some smack talking but since we weren't, harley guys simply showed their fear of being showed up by better riders and superior machines.

I never said Harley made a genre of bike that I don't like. The VRod is simply amazing and its the ONLY Harley that I would love to own....if not for the bullshit that goes with owning a Harley. I am aware that other companies ride on name alone (Tommy Hilfiger comes to mind) and I do no care for them either. But, they haven't been mentioned in this thread.

I pale in comparison to the obnoxiosness and arrogance of Harley assholes who think they are cool by making a lot of noise and living a fantasy lifestyle. I hope to meet a younger (middle age and down) Harley owner who is not a complete asshole. Haven't done that yet after many years and many rides. The old timers who had been riding for years when I was born are a different matter entirely though. Great guys who love riding for riding and I haven't seen the prejudice against imports from them that I do from the under 50 crowd.

12. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

:confused: i am truely comfused with this statement.

13. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

I think he means that the new Indian is not connected with the old Indian company that dominated Harley for decades. But, at the bike shows that I have been to, people walk right past the Harleys and if there is an Indian there, people gawk and admire. Harleys are too common and their reputation has fallen for decades while when an Indian shows up, its exclusive and harkens back to a time when the US was king at making motorcycles the world over.

Indian cruisers are truly bad ass and the owners I have met have been really cool.

14. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Sorry, misunderstood ya... If they were generalizing, then your right. I've seen my share of crotch rocket show offs, but most don't ride any worse than I drive, so I can't complain :)

15. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Exactly... Harley has been "in your face" pretty much constantly from the companies birth. Indian went bankrupt decades ago, and is just now rebuilding their reputation. Two years ago I bet you could have asked any kid what a Harley was, and he would know - Ask him what an Indian was, and odds are the answer you would have gotten would have nothing to do with motorcycles. Indian's are gaining popularity, but they have a lot of catching up to do.
    Personally, I hate the monster fenders on the Chief, but the Scout is cool. Not sure I would ever buy one though, there's to many "hand-made" parts that I think would make maintenance or repair a real expensive pain in the ass. Nice bikes though.

16. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

the indian has a much richer storied past imo, but maybe it's just my surroundings compared to yours.

17. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Maybe, but that past includes 46 years that Indian wasn't being produced.

Harley Davidson started up only 3 years after Indian, and has been steadily producing bikes to this day. Granted, I believe there was some gov't interaction on HD's behalf to prevent them from going under.

Oh, and while I'm in MD now, I'm a TX boy, not that far off from you :)

18. Konowl

Konowl New Member

Worst. Thread. Hijack. Ever.

19. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

My bad. Crotch rocket pricks weaving in and out of traffic are a nuisance in their own right and I will not try to defend them. Thats what these Harley guys stereotyped us into although we NEVER dod what they accused us of. And, this was at Christmas toy runs to raise money and toys for poor kids and this is where they pull this crap on us. After three shows in three different cities, my friends and I said to hell with it all.

Every Harley owner 50 or younger have been complete assholes. Now, the oldtimers who can't ride anymore seem to love all bikes no matter what. I guess its because they love to ride and since they can't anymore, they'd take anything to get back out there. This, and it pisses me off that Harley refuses to innovate and best other manufacturers on the world stage. They didn't quit AMA racing, they got embarassed out. :wtc:

20. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

no shit eh. mind you i guess it's partly my fault cause i forgot i posted this.

Sorry about 02/03 thing. As for the "Jap scrap" = well, you must have been driving shit to start with." comment; I have a 93 accord sedan. It's not fast by any means, but i can beat the shit out of it, it won't die even with 320,000+kms on it and still gets wicked mileage. It's my beater, even after the motor swap it will still be a beater.

21. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

In my experiences, it's always been the other way around. Arrogant pissant on a supersport starts mouthing off about how inferior Harleys are. I've seen this 10x more often than I've seen a Harley rider putting down supersports. The sportbike riders are usually the ones with the attitudes, yet they always seem to "percieve" that the Harley riders hate sportbikes.

22. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

But the fact is that Harley riders do hate sportbike riders. So, naturally we don't like these "people" in return.

23. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

No, that is not a fact. I'm saying that my personal experiences have proven to me that Harley riders do not hate sportbike riders, this is a myth that the sportbike riders like to perpetuate just as you're doing now.

24. troglodyte

troglodyte Guest

Look wolf, I have been to many many many many bike shows, races, rides and you are completely wrong on this issue. Of course, not every single Harley guy in the world hates sportbike riders but their exception simply proves the rule. If not, then why do harely guys lie about sportbike riders at TOY RUNS FOR KIDS CHARITIES to discourage further participation?:rolleyes:

25. Konowl

Konowl New Member

Start your own goddam bike threads, he was talking about a Firehawk! I was kinda interested in this thread too because I have no fucking idea what I want to get as my next ride.

Oh shit... in danger of putting this thread back on topic... I better talk about Harley's, and how thier riders act.