A&P I tried to reschedule the appointment with my wedding videographer...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hootpie, Sep 4, 2008.

1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

...and he said, "I'm sorry, I can't reschedule this appointment for you because you've canceled so many times." I told him I'd call him back.

Last week my wife was sick. This week I'm the sick one. We've had to call him to reschedule twice including today.

He then said that the video he gave us is final and that he could no longer "cancel appointments with other customers to make room for you only to have you cancel appointments." The fuck? Either he thinks I'm beyond stupid to believe he's canceling other appointments or he's beyond stupid and actually doing something like that.

What I was supposed to get:

(1) BR disc of our wedding in 720p
    (2) DVD's of our wedding
    (1) Wedding video that is edited properly

I have 1 DVD that doesn't play right and that is edited incorrectly.

Apparently, some people don't appreciate when people like my wife and I decide to keep our germs to ourselves. Looking back, we should have gone in and given him this nasty cold.

I'd like to know how you guys think I should approach this situation when I call him tomorrow. I'm planning on saying, "I know this is getting dragged out and we both want this project finished, so let's make one final appointment, finish this up, and get on with our lives."

Edit: I'd get the raw footage from him myself (3 hours off of 2 cameras, so 6 hours total), but it is all in hi-def and takes up roughly 9 mini-dv's at $25/each. On top of that, I'd have to spend time editing it properly, which is what I paid this guy to do.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. aCab

aCab New Member

1st - he didn't hold up his end of the bargain - one more reason not to pay until you get the goods.

2nd - what kind of operation is he running? That's not very good customer service. Whatever happened to "whatever it takes"?

3rd - This is a wedding we're talking about, not a birthday party. Quite possibly on of the most important events in your life. Are you going to just let it slide?

My bet is on the fact that he lost or somehow corrupted the footage from your ceremony and isn't willing to confess it. You could very well put him out of business if you take it to the extreme.

When were you supposed to get the goods by?

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

due it's your fucking wedding, don't LET it slide, make sure you get your shit.

4. hootpie

hootpie New Member

The wedding video kept getting postponed. The wedding was June 28th...we didn't get back from our honeymoon until July 8th. That's when we heard "next week" every week. We were finally promised a copy by August 4th to proof...that turned into August 10th or so.

I got it on August 10th to look it over...I was busy myself so I didn't get a chance to look it over and make an appointment with him. I called him and told him that it was almost all wrong. He said that if we wanted the whole thing re-edited he would charge $150/hr with a 4-hour minimum. I almost laughed out loud. He said as a courtesy he would give us 2 hours of editing for free. I figured that's more than enough based on the changes that need to be made. If it went over 2 hours I would take care of it/make sure he didn't charge us.

Anyway, I finally had some time and made an appointment for Thursday of last week. Had to cancel the day of because my wife was sick. Rescheduled it for today, but had to cancel that because I was sick. Now he's pulling this nonsense.

Like I said, we should have just gone and given him this cold. My wife, who never gets sick, has been sick for a little over a week with this shit. It would have made a great "thank you" present for this guy's attitude.

5. aCab

aCab New Member

Sounds like a Con Man. :dunno:

Time to get other people besides yourself involved.

6. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I want to avoid making this a big deal...he's good friends with my wedding photographer (might be safe to assume he's not a conman), so if it gets to that point I'll talk to the photographer and get him to talk some sense into this guy.

It may sound like I'm being passive, but I'm exhausted from this cold and I don't have the energy to deal with it. If push comes to shove, I'll go out of my way to make sure his business takes a big hit.

7. aCab

aCab New Member

I'd make it clear to your wedding photographer that he/she doesn't need to be doing business/recommending this guy anymore.

8. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Yeah...if the phone call tomorrow with the videographer isn't productive I'll be calling the photographer. I actually booked the video through the photographer. I hadn't had any interaction with the videographer prior to needing the video edited (bad idea in hindsight). I'll possibly have to put the squeeze on the photographer to get what I paid for.

9. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

isn't 3 hours from 3 cameras 9 hours?

10. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

You have the contract and proof he didnt deliver what he said in contract? Threaten small claims court

11. hootpie

hootpie New Member

It is, but they shot with 2 cameras. I made a typo :o

12. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I called him a little while ago and after the initial greeting I asked sternly, "So if I remember correctly from our conversation yesterday you are no longer going to do any editing of our video?"

His reply, "Ummm...well no, we can do the edits it's just that this is getting drawn out and we need to finish this" bla bla bla with some other mentions of the first 2 hours of editing is free, but anything after that is $150/hour. I'll deal with that when I meet with him in person. He seems to be a bit of a phone-warrior.

Long story short he's going to send me another copy of the video so I can figure out what needs to be fixed, then I'm going to meet with him and get it all done.

13. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

maybe he was just having a bad day... :dunno:

14. hootpie

hootpie New Member

That's what I was thinking, as unprofessional as that is, and that's why I told him I'd call him back tomorrow.