I tried to put together a decent gaming pc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by L7, Jun 15, 2006.

1. L7

L7 Mr Negativity

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you *must* run memory in PAIRS to take advantage of dual channel. Get a 2x512MB kit at the least.

I'd prolly go with a different PSU, as well.

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

The AM2 version would run you the same price and open up more motherboard options such as DDR2.

4. L7

L7 Mr Negativity

It doesn't seem like any of the AM2 socket CPUs in the price range of the 3800+ perform as well.

5. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

I'd opt for the 74 GB raptor just for the performance again, if not don't even bother getting the 36GB. Just a little heads up from a person who has had both.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The 36.7GB Raptors are also a lot louder than the 74GB and 150GB Raptors, because they use an older style of motor bearings. Also, with regard to the Seagate drive you chose, make sure that the SATA controller on your new motherboard supports NCQ, or else the NCQ built into the drive will do you no good. It's only really useful anyway if you're going to be running programs that can build a queue of all the files they need to read, and don't care what order the files are delivered in, or if you're going to be running tons of programs that will be using files on that drive. In other words, you're not likely to benefit from NCQ on your secondary hard drive. I'd go with the non-NCQ version and save a few bucks.

SLI isn't that great of a feature; it requires two of the same video card (which have to be SLI-compatible) in order to work, and 2x older video cards now < 1x better video card in a couple of years. The thing with video cards is that almost all of their special effects are built-in, so when the next generation of video cards come out, and new games start using the new special effects those cards include, your older SLI setup still won't be able to provide those special effects. It'll just do what it has always done, 2x faster than normal. Video cards are plenty fast these days, you won't really notice the performance boost from SLI at any point.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You really just don't know how NCQ works, do you? It requires no software support outside of the appropriate IDE driver.

Again spewing information you have no clue about. There are other reasons to go with SLI. And I assure you that getting one decent card now, and doubling later on will play games for a great long time to come.

8. deusexaethera

I say NCQ is helpful for the average guy, I get shut down by this dude. I say it's not helpful for the average guy, I get shut down by you. SO WHICH FUCKING WAY IS IT? :rant2:

- - -

I SAID that an SLI setup will process twice as much data per second. In that respect I agree with you. Regarding the effects processors, are you saying that an older GPU can provide newer visual effects even though it doesn't have them hardwired?

9. L7

L7 Mr Negativity

Seriously, I have no idea what any of these acronyms mean. I pieced this setup together from this thread and some tomshardware.com benchmarks. If I did something wrong, please suggest a specific part rather than just saying 'I'd go with a different X'.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

11. deusexaethera

NCQ is a feature that lets the hard drive accept a list of file requests, figure out which one it can fill the fastest, and fill that request first even if it wasn't first-in-line. With properly-compatible hardware and software, it makes the process of accessing a bunch of files at once go faster, because the hard drive doesn't have to thrash itself trying to grab files that are scattered all over the place in an inefficient manner.

Your software has to be compatible with it too; Windows already is, so even if you don't have individual programs that can handle the concept, Windows can stack up all the file requests from all your programs and feed them to the hard drive's NCQ processor.

Even so, it's not likely to improve things enough for you to notice, much less care; NCQ is mainly intended for servers, because they're always working hard. As previously stated, I'd save a few bucks and get a non-NCQ hard drive.

EDIT: Oh, and we had a discussion about DVD drives a few days ago; if I remember correctly, NEC's aren't particularly fantastic. I'd get a Sony instead.

another EDIT: Don't feel bad if the technobabble in this forum is above your head; as a general rule, every "what should I buy" thread in C&P dissolves into a pissing contest after about five or six posts. Grab the first few ideas and use them to help your decision-making process.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WRONG. Windows actually makes a point to *discourage* direct access of hardware. Software should NEVER have to support NCQ directly.

That just sounds retarded. "because they're always working hard". What kind of answer is that? You sound like you should attend kindergarden. As for saving money, NCQ isn't something you usually "add". The drive either supports it or it doesn't. And a drive with NCQ support on a controller w/o NCQ support has no disadvantage. Furthermore, there's no cost difference.

You obviously have NO CLUE about what when on in that discussion. NEC drives are EXCELLENT. I would even go as far as to say "FANTASTIC". Please do not post any more.

I think you need to take your own advice here, and simply don't post any more. This "technobabble" is obviously WAY over your head.

13. deusexaethera

Okay, so I remembered wrong. I do remember that Sony (Lite-On rebrands, as you pointed out) are good.

My kindergarten expressions are intended to be easy to understand for people who don't spend every day studying up on how to impress people with their read-and-memorize skills.