I tried my sample of Optimum Opti-Coating

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Scottwax, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Not sure if that is the final name or not though.

I tried it on a fender a while back-the same one I got to practice the rotary on. I then promptly forgot about it due to my then upcoming surgery, visits from my kids, etc.

I decided to try it on a few sections of my own car. The spoiler, mirrors and front bumper...then I got carried away and applied it to my whole car, wheels included.

The application is a little tricky compared to Opti-Seal. If you can apply it thin enough, I guess you can get away with it flashing off with nothing to buff. Since any thick areas cannot be wiped off later and will in fact have to be polished off, I decided to err on the side of caution.

What seemed to work very well was to use a large MF covered foam pad. Lightly spritz one side and then spread, then flip it over and continue to work down any high spots (sort of like what works with Acrylic Jett). I then waited about a minute and then went over the section with a MF towel. I also applied it to the sunroof glass and windshield. What was interesting is how there seemed to be some filling properties in a couple of the bird bomb etchings in my hood (the previous owner was obviously not like us ;) ) making them somewhat less visible.

The look is similar to Opti-Seal, wet and glossy. It is also very slick.

Rain isn't forecast at least through January 20th so no idea when I can see how it beads. Durability is said to be extremely good, my understanding is cars are beading after a couple years since application. Going to be hard to not put anything over it, also will be doing some conventional washing so the polymers in ONR don't give it a small boost with each wash.

I'll try to get more pictures tomorrow, it was near dusk when I finished and my camera batteries were on fumes.

I am not sure when it will actually be released nor what the pricing will be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Very nice looking. Looks like something I would love to put on my metallic blue jeep!

3. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

looks good man

4. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

It looks really glossy. Is it a sealant, like Acrylic Jett?

5. Scottwax

It is a coating. According to someone else testing it, after applying it to a Grand Cherokee, paint thickness increased by 2 microns.

Here are some better pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Interesting. I'm certainly convinced of its usefulness and gloss!! Is this the same stuff that stealerships want to charge an arm and a leg for? Or is this coating idea new cutting-edge paint technology? Personally, I've never heard of the idea.

7. Scottwax

This is based on some Japanese technology that in the past hasn't worked well as a paint protectant. Somehow the good doctor found a way to make it work. You should be able to find more information on the Optimum forums.

8. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'm rather undecided about a product like this that truly does give "years" of durability; on the one hand it's great for people who don't want to touch their vehicles often, but as a professional I can see this being a not-so-good thing since customers would think "why should I get my car detailed more than once every few years if the protection is that good?"

Certainly does look nice though.

9. Scottwax

I see it as an upsell for your customers who lease their vehicles and aren't going to keep up on waxing on something that isn't really their car. Apply it when the car is new and they don't have to worry again. The coating won't be cheap, I've heard anywhere from $50-90 for 2 oz, which is enough for about 4 vehicles based on what it took on my Maxima. I believe Anthony Orosco is charging $200 for car and $300 for SUVs for the coating.

10. Scottwax

The new coating does a great job sheeting water when you hit it hard and beading like crazy when you don't. My car is an '02 (June '01 build date) so the paint doesn't bead like a new car would with the same LSP. Noticed the same phenomenom with my old Accord after it was wrecked and the front end repainted. No matter what wax or sealant I used, the front end with the new paint beaded much better.

With the coating, my paint beads up just like new paint with fresh wax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A video of how water reacts when it hits my car:

[y]n4HeBI8DQHY[/y]

11. cooly

cooly OT Supporter

sheeting looks really good

I hope it's released before summer hits

12. Scottwax

My understanding is it will be released in the middle of February. Last I heard the target price was $50 for two ounces. Should be enough for 4 cars or 2-3 SUVs/trucks.

13. Derek173

Derek173 Analyst and Therapist

Still only for pros? or will general public be able to purchase?

14. Scottwax

I believe that Dr. G. will have several distributors and I think it will be up to them who they sell it to.

15. BlazinBlazer Guy

Hmm... that's a good thought. "Unlike the six-month-at-best 'sealant' the dealer wants to sell you, this coating actually does have the capability to last the entire period of your lease." That said, fewer and fewer people are leasing (mainly because many dealerships/manufacturers are dropping the option)... so who knows.

The $200-300 price point seems decent for an exterior-only package, considering I'd usually charge $75-100 for a new vehicle using a "normal" 5-6 month LSP and minimal correction of swirls/marring.

16. Derek173

updates on release?

17. Scottwax

I believe that Dr. G was on vacation. I talked to Anthony Orosco yesterday and that is what he said. Right now they are working on the wording of the guarantee and I think that is the last obstacle prior to release.

NXT car wash soap can't even dent the beading. Not sure how many of you have used it, but beading takes a real hit after you use NXT's wash-at least for me it does. Also, the look seemed to improve for about 2 weeks. Has a really sick glow now.

18. Derek173

note to self :

Avoid NXT wash

19. BlazinBlazer Guy

:werd: I find NXT wash to be almost as potent as washing with Dawn, at least in how it reacts to some LSPs (e.g. P21S/S100)

20. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Werd. :bigthumb: