MMA I trained at a rival academy tonight.. kinda long

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by chechen, Dec 22, 2005.

1. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

I trained at Hollywood BJJ, which is run by shawn williams.

There was hardly anyone there because the holidays are coming up. I trained with this white belt, and killed him. I also trained with this blue belt, and killed him too. There was a purple belt there that I've known for about two years, he always used to beat me. This time was no different, he's just way too tough. Then I rolled with Shawn Williams, who has his black belt from Renzo Gracie. You can imagine how that went. The guy is just on a completely different level. Jiu Jitsu has to be one of the toughest martial arts out there when it comes to competition levels. You think you're on top of things, and then there's some guys out there who make you feel like you don't know anything.

It was just annoying though, because both that black and purple belt were like.. You need to work on some of your basics, blah blah blah. The stuff they were showing me is stuff that I already know! It's just that it's not easy to make that stuff work when you're fighting someone who is just flat out better than you. I mean I had trained with both these guys before, and they beat me back then too. It's like a race, and both of them have a big head start on me.. what exactly do they expect?!

I think they were just trying to imply that the instruction there is better than the instruction I get where I train. I don't think thats necessarily the case, I just think that tougher guys happen to be there. They have a ton of tough guys there, and that academy hasnt even been around six months. The more serious guys just happened to migrate toward this academy.

Even if their teaching IS better, I wouldn't go there. I just don't like the guys there. There's a lot of ego at that place, even if it's not totally on the surface. I'm just not into it. I like my instructor because he's a nice guy, not necessarily because he's world friggin champion or something.

I guess I'm a little frustrated with myself too. After getting caught in the same footlock for the fifth time by that purple belt. I just put a little bit more power into the escape I was using, and it worked. Then I thought, wtf, why didn't I just do that in the first place? I sell myself way too short sometimes.

2. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Woahh, talking about other clubs like that on teh internet gets you in shit! Seen it happens many a time dude. There'll be making a visit to your club soon I bet if they see this!

3. Intellex

Intellex Dogs love me cause I'm crazy sniffable OT Supporter

:ugh2:

4. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

lol @ mma drama

5. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

at least you got some exposure to other places and BJJers. you're like Daniel-san walking into the Cobra Kai dojo :eek5:

ever check out Beverly Hills BJJ where Bas trained Genki?

6. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

lol no mercy!

And yes it is definitely frustrating when you are getting tapped by better people. A year ago when I was training with my old instructor, he didn't really tell me what my problem was, but just rolled with me a countless number of times and I started to compare my game to his to see what I was doing differently. What I learned was that he had much better combinations, timing, and confidence which I try to incorporate more and more.

7. Placebo

Placebo New Member

You sure you don't want to go to the rival academy? It seems like you would get a lot better training there from what you said.

8. chechen

i started out at beverly hills bjj, i didnt like it there.

9. chechen

it's too much of a commute. and i like the place where i train more. it's not like there's not enough guys to beat me up where i'm at already. and it's a lot more like a family.

10. chechen

yes i'm sure they'll stumble upon this in OT's MMA forum

11. Placebo

Placebo New Member

The place I'm at is 5 minutes away and it's just like a family as well. I love it.

12. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

:wtf:

13. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

it's not hard to fathom

other guy see's thread, see's it as an insult, challenges chechen, chechen refuses. Guy threatens chechens mother and kidnaps his dog. Chechen hires a private detective, together they track down the culprit to an abandoned warehouse.

Investigator challenges kidnapper for the dog and gets dispatched rather quickly, chechen steps forward and it's on. They fight for what seems like forever but really is only 2 minutes. Chechen is taking somewhat of a beating, repeated spin kicks to the face ftl.

Chechen feels like he's gone, he's booted across a car bonnet and he's rolls shapelessly to the ground. Meanwhile his opponent is boasting and beating his chest in an ape like fashion. Chechen sits crouching, keeled over in pain but not real pain, chechen is over that, the adrenaline is flowing fast and his blood is charged with what seems like bull semen. No, the pain is mental. indignant pride and canine synergy bolster his weak and bruised body and he feels strength like never before.

:ugh2: .............someone finish it off

14. Intellex

Intellex Dogs love me cause I'm crazy sniffable OT Supporter

:rofl:

Where's the Van Damage though?? :dunno:

15. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

i'll give it a go

chechen rises to his feet, fear flees from his eyes from as the restless tiger awakens. Both guys are staring at each other no more than 3 feet away. The awful dog knapper licks his lips, snarls and pounces.

Chechen somewhat ungainly parries the blow and brushes past him. The tides have turned, chechen feels new vigour and virtuously tastes the air and beckons his opponent on. Like a stumbling drunk, the guy from the other academy loses heart, his limbs heavy with fear and his heart dark and forsaken.

They pace restlessly, Chechen tries a double and is immediately sprawled upon. Attemping to turn the corner the two warriors tustle for position and spring back to their feet. Chechen remembers that this isn't a sport brazilian jui jitsu contest and immediately pulls guard. A few dozen blows later and chechen learns the hard way..... but wait.....the other guy goes for the footlock...no, not the same footlock he caught chechen with 5 times this past week. The very same.

A lightbulb goes off in chechens head, *click*, somwhat dimly lit and creaking through his broken skull but still the electricity is still wired and Chechen is still concious. Always a good thing. Immediately scrambling Chechen summons all his strength and every ounce of technique and executes the escape that only days earlier he had cried himself to sleep over his inability to use it before. However desperate times call for desperate measures and the time, the place, the energy and the right state of mind all lull chechen into doing the right thing.

Flip -- Reverse -- Twist Chechen is out and up. A flurry of punches from the mount leave the dog napper dazed and confused. Chechen is taking over but wait he just stands up, out of the blue. Dominant position has been abandoned.

What the hell is he doing?

Both to their feet, chechen refreshed and energised, other guy wobbling and heavy. Chechen turns, twists, flips and spins. Spinning fucking reverse hook kick to the face.

What else. It's over!

Ok, now that was incredibly :greddy:

16. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

sorry chechen, if you want i'll delete these posts

17. Sammo

Sammo New Member

:rofl:

18. chechen

what the gay happened to this thread :ugh:
    I have to admit, that part about the footlock was pretty creative though.

And for the record, I don't mind losing to those guys. I just mind when they act like they have these secrets to BJJ because of the place they train. They're just better because they're more experienced. I knew that purple belt two years ago when this academy didn't even exist. I was a white belt, and he was a blue belt, and he was still kicking the crap out of me. At least I actually swept him yesterday.

19. Little Erve

Little Erve New Member

:werd:

Mine's pretty damn good tho. :coold:

20. chechen

well mine too, he has a black belt under carlson gracie. he's an animal. He's 40 years old so his jiu jitsu is considered to be kind of an old style though. things are constantly changing.

i trained with another purple belt from that academy today, and i didn't have very much trouble with him. so whatever.. im not stressed about their BS anymore

21. chechen

yeah thats a good point but i don't really see a big difference between here and there. they happen to have the tougher guys, because usually tough guys are attracted to those new big names. But thats kind of stupid in a sense because those new big names came from older big names.

JJ Machado > Eddie bravo
    Rodrigo Medeiros > Javier Vazquez
    Renzo Gracie > Shawn williams

theyre attracted to the guys who are currently competing, but the guys who are currently competing learned everything from the old timers anyway.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I feel like I'd benefit more from a team where I feel at home compared to a place that DOES have more tough guys, but each of those tough guys is really just there for himself when it comes down to it.

22. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

holy shit chech, what're you still doing up?! :eek3:

wait, what am i doing up? i have to wake up in 4 hours :hs:

23. chechen

usually you can train for free a couple times if you know the instructor

24. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

there is this academy near my house that I trained at last time I came back from college but he never gave me a free day. Always a 20 dollar mat fee.