GUN I thought this was pretty cool

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by H.P., Dec 13, 2007.

1. H.P.

H.P. Guest

2. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

At least in florida it is mandatory that all new guns come with a lock, so no real need for a program like that.

Still it is nice for the police to do for FTF transfers or used gun sales. If you don't need them, I wouldn't go get any it would cost them money and be a drain on the project's finance which come from some budget. I would just write them a nice letter/email, thanking them for doing it and pointing out that even if only one person gets unitizes the program it cost them nothing to offer the program, but got one person to be a responsible gun owner. That way if it comes up it discussion if they should keep the program going or do other things like it, they can say it is known and appreciated, even if it isn't utilized like we expected.

3. H.P.

H.P. Guest

I think its mandatory in IL as well. I think it may be for older guns that didn't have this requirement

4. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Ours does the same thing. I never used them, I just put them in a gun case and lock it.

5. Slick26

Not to mention every time you buy a new handgun, the manufacturers always slip one in there as well.
    I've got like 10 of them, and only 2 handguns right now. :rofl:

6. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

My hometown Sheriff's office conducts a firearm training class free of charge. You get to shoot the old beat up service revolvers.

7. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

My dept gives out free cable locks.

8. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

They have a bin of these at a few of the gun shops around here, as well as some of the ranges.

9. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

We give them out in bulk.

Some recovering drugie without a license ask for some and her used them as bike locks. One of his bikes had been stolen prior. :rofl:

10. Slick26

It probably is.

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

State law. Many gun companies include them with their guns so they can be sold in any state.

12. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

JSO does this?

hrm apparently you do firearms training as well as self defense awareness training. You know anything about what is covered? Free is free, but after all boring and useless is a waste of time.

edit: they also do the free gun locks and the citizen's police academy.

13. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Its required here as well.

Some cheap fucking pawn shop gave me 3 zip ties and said sign here that you got a gun lock.. I looked and laughed

14. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I've got nothing against gun locks. When I lived at an apartment with other people and didn't have a safe I kept the gun locks on them, and then they were looped through a Kensington lock which attached to my desk. Sure, it wouldn't deter anyone who was willing to rip the Kensington lock out of the desk, but it kept anyone from coming into my room and picking one up to mess around with at parties.

Though I did get some :squint: looks from women and whatnot who'd come by my room during parties and see my guns leaning against my desk. I was just doing the best I could to keep them secured.

Before I had the kensington lock I just used the gun locks to keep some fucking idiot from loading one of my guns at a party. I got the kensington lock and drilled it into the desk after a guy picked one up and was walking around the party showing it to people and saying how "bad ass" it was that I had guns. I promptly grabbed the rifle from him and showed him the door, he was so drunk he forgot he left two 12 packs of Heineken, so I wasn't THAT angry.

15. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

My last apartment they were simply in the closet in the bedroom, I always meant to get a lock for that door, when I moved I got a dedicated gun closet, in which have a couple shelves and a table and I now have a lock on the door, it doesn't mean that there aren't one or two laying around at most times, but they can easily be put away. Granted the door on the closet is a hollow core and the hinge pins are not the security time, so anyone with a hammer and a screwdriver or fist could get at the guns, but any idiot/drunk can't just pick out up. Plus with a locked closet, I can always say when asked about it, that it is guns, valuables such as jewelry and silverware, dead hooker storage or your mom, depending on the person asking.

16. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I had a couple pawn shops tell me you had to have a lock with it from now on. One wanted to charge me for one till i found a zip tie in the car. Now I keep a spare cable lock in the back just in case i find a good deal

17. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I didn't have that kind of option at the apartments I shared, mostly because they had sliding glass closet doors.

My apartment this spring is just me and has a closet, but I doubt it has any sort of lock on it. I can just figure something out I guess, maybe get a cable lock and put it through the clothes racks.

The apartment is incredibly secure so I'm not too worried. You have to have a key to get into the building, each floor has an individually keyed solid-cored steel door that 3" thick and then the door to my apartment is 3" of solid-cored steel as well. I think my stuff is safe. :)

18. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

My door was just one that had one of those magnets to hold it shut, but I installed a typical deadbolt on it, if you have a normal closet that you can put guns in, just slap something anything like these on it for 13 bucks

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&N=500294+10401001

19. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Apartment complex wouldn't allow you to change the locks or add additional locks. They had to have 24hr access to any and all rooms and closets, it was in the lease agreement. :hsugh:

20. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

what the gay?

At least they have to give notice something like 24 hrs in advance and have permission, you not telling them today doesn't work allows them to come in for their monthly pest control and inspection or a maintenance request has implied consent. I can understand not wanting you to modify the apartment, but the whenever we want is pretty messed up. I kept the guns for the most part under the bed or in the air handler closet, cause they never looked either of those places.

You did make sure they don't have a no firearms policy though right? You should put a hidden camera in with the guns, just so when they do an inspection you can see the gun round the corner and see a pile guns stacked in the corner and the :run: reaction. For added reaction leave a pair of boxers on a M44 bayo.

21. MTech

MTech New Member

+1

they have large bins full..they're really nice ones too.

22. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

They had no such policy banning firearms.

They are required to give a 24hr notice, but not in emergencies which is why they always need access.

As for leaving them out, I did leave them lined against the side of my desk when I was away, but my door was always closed and locked. There were plenty of times when guests came, my door was open, they saw the rifles, and freaked out. Other times some guys would just nod at me and say nothing, a few asked where I went to shoot, did I hunt, etc etc.

The only one I was really worried about was my grandfather's black powder. I loved taking that thing to the outdoor range and having some fun, I've considered getting into reenactment stuff and using it, but I don't have the money for uniforms and whatnot.