i thought i messed up my video card or my lcd was crapping out

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Apr 7, 2006.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

so, i had the side panel off on my computer because i had just been swapping out hard drives.
    it's on and i go to plug in my digital camera. well, i have both of my digital cameras usb cords, plus my ipods usb cord all ziptied together to make it an easy to use bundle. they plug into the back of the pc and hang on top and over the left side of it. this is the side that didn't have the cover on at that time.
    my other digital camera wire was hanging down at that time. when i plugged in my other digital camera (i have 2 and they have different cords), the wire that was hanging touched a chip on my video card (ati all in wonder 9600 agp, nothing too special)
    it made the wierdest looking matrix overlay of colors on my lcd screen. i'm like oh crap, this lcd screen is out of warranty. i though i had a bad connection, so i checked the monitor cable...then i bumped the digital camera usb cable and saw it let out a blue spark as is grazed against the contacts on a chip on my video card. so i removed the wire and restarted. good thing is that the video card survived
    moral of the story...ugh, i guess always wear a condom.

2. marauder

marauder New Member

Lucky.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i'd say so...i really didn't want to buy another card, even though mine means nothing to the newest technology

4. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

great story.