I thought DSL modems didn't work through filters

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Apr 20, 2007.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I was at someone's house today and saw that their DSL modem was synced at 400k/160k. I had a look around to make sure that all of the phones were filtered when I discovered that she had a filter on the main phone jack in the house off of which everything else, including the modem, branched. I removed that filter and filtered a branch with a phone on it, and the modem's downstream synced at 860k. I always thought that DSL filters would block the modem from syncing at all. I've never actually tested it though.

2. D3aC0n

D3aC0n Vesa ToskaLOL OT Supporter

that's because the DSL line in that particular house is close enough to the CO so that the signal strength is actually strong enough to sync with the modem, even though a filter is in place. But yeah.. in most situations, a filtered DSL modem won't sync

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have seen filtered dsl modems sync intermittently. They sync and lose sync repeatedly. A filter is just a low-pass filter... There is a gradual curve, so some dsl signal in the lower frequency band will pass through. DSL generally uses DTM which is fairly robust in it's ability to adapt to line conditions -- effective sacrificing throughput for link quality.