MIL I thought about joining the U.S. Army

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Artanis, May 31, 2005.

1. Artanis

Artanis New Member

And I have some questions to you guys.

1. I thought of starting off as an officer (OF-1 I guess). I heard that you need a college degree and a high ASVAB score to start the officer training school.

1.1 There is no "college" in Germany. In about 3 years I'll finish public school here and the graduation I get, called "Abitur" is some kind of diploma from a German secondary school qualifying for university admission or matriculation. I don't know if this is enough. If not, what should I do?

1.2 I think I will fail at the ASVAB test. Not because I'm dumb, I tested my IQ a couple of years ago and the result was 127. The problem is that I suck at the english language (just read this post). This is not really a question, but this is what sucks.

2. Is it right that I can stay in the US and live there after I finished my service? I'm still a German citizen, so right now I would have to leave after 90 days or so.

3. How big is the chance that I'll be send to Iraq? Mind that IF I'd join the Army it would be in 2008 or even later. Because like said before I have to finish school first.

4. If they want me to move out to a warzone, can I tell them to move me to Afghanistan or some place like that? Or is there no chance to change their minds if they say "You gotta go to china to fight the evil communists and their nukez" :noes:.

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

You're moving from Germany to join the U.S. Army?

I think you'll do fine. Your english is pretty good, and you know what the word "grammatical" means.

You are definately making a smart move, and it sounds like you have the ambition to be successful in anything you want.

3. Artanis

Artanis New Member

No way :ugh:

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

That's because the Foreign Legion is the only branch of the French military that accepts foreigners. Otherwise they would be as :greddy: as the rest.

Their commando training includes "Eating raw sardines and mussels." :rofl:

Source: http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/chapter5.htm
    Some other interesting tidbits include...

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  5. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

:rofl: :rofl:

6. Accord

Accord New Member

Isn't there some sort of program where if you join the military as a legal alien, after your 4 year enlistment is up you automatically become a citizen?

7. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

no.

8. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

0. You need to be a legal permanent resident of the US to join the in the US military. the process to be a permanent legal resident takes years.

1. You need a 4 year bachelor degree or foreign equivalent as a requirement.

2. You need to attend either a college within the states or attend a 4 year upper division school in the EU

3. Verbal only comprises a part of the test. If you can comprehend english you're fine. There are questions about mechanics and math too.

4. During your stint in the active military you reside within military perimeters and obey UCMJ rules. after the military is a whole different thing.

5. Very likely, especially if you're new. Everyone is being rotated into Iraq at least once. Some are going twice or three times. We will be in iraq for at least 10 years, count on it.

6. They tell you where to go, you go. They tell you to shit, you shit. They tell you to dance, you dance. They tell you to bend over and pick up the soap, you get seaman.