I think this might be the wrong place, but I wasnt getting any help in the main forum

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jackhole, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I have a 98 Chevy Malibu with 124K on it right now. I currently use Vavoline MaxLife 5W-30 oil and change it every 3000 miles. I was thinking about Switching to that Mobil Extended Performance 15K oil - is this a good idea? I've heard about problems with older engines leaking with synthetic or something like that.

Also, if I do switch, what's a good filter to get? I mean, the thing's gonna be on there for 15K.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If I recall correctly, you still want to change the filter ever 3-5K miles... Only the oil is rated to go 15k... And when you do the filter, you need to add about 1qt to compensate for what comes out with the filter. As for filters, I've always went out of my way to use Purolator PureOne or Mobil-1 filters. They're the best for the money, in my opinion...

As for switching, yes do so. Any leak that develops existed BEFORE you switched... Dino oil can clog crevices and synthetics will break down the buildup. Thus you may show a leak that you hadn't seen before... But synthetic did not cause it -- the problem was always there.

3. Chevy350

Chevy350 OT Supporter

Just keep changing it every 3000. Cant hurt and its cheap insurance.

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

What's the point then?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:nikko: that's marketing for ya!

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Bah, I'll probably just stick with the Valvoline then. :dunno: I feel bad for the poor saps that are gonna leave the filter on for 15K.

7. NeoPaladin

NeoPaladin New Member

Actually, depending on your driving, even changing it every 3K can be a little overboard. If you're primarily just doing highway driving, changing it every 5K to 7K is a little more realistic. Even city driving, I'd just go by the color of the oil to determine. I like to change it at the point that the oil goes from that amber color and begins to shift to brown. With my driving habits, that's usually 4-5K miles. :)