MMA i think this is sic

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by adrenalin112, Mar 12, 2009.

1. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

[y]DfZNgQ6zjQE[/y]

i wonder if its too mean for rolling/sparring since its cranks the neck.

2. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Eddie Bravo is overrated. All the noobs at the gym all want to learn his crap, when really they don't even know the basics of bjj. imo all he did was reinvent the high guard with some variation but took an assload of credit it for it for beating royler with it.

Yet he never competed after that? If he was so confident with his technique shouldn't he keep competeting. Oh wait he did have a fight after Royler, Leo Vieira where he got demolished. His excuse 'I just beat royler' imo thats not an excuse.

3. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Um, he gives credit in his books to each person for every move he developed in his book. And yes he beat Royler, he beat an unbeatable Gracie when he was a brown belt. What more does he have to prove?

4. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Take for example Marcelo Garcia, whose attitude is like 'i call it the x guard, im not gonna take credit it for it because maybe there was another grappler who invented it before me, its just a guard that i use'

Compared to Eddie Bravo 'I invented the rubber guard, arnt i awesome!?'

He gives (grudgingly i suspect) props to the lockdown being a judo technique .

If you want to prove that your guard is effective your gonna have to have a (and lets face it lucky) win of royler and then get steamrolled in your next fight. The guy needs to put together some consistency if he wants props

5. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

lol @ bravo hate.

personally i dont care where a good technique comes from. ill learn things from others of all levels and all kinds of different arts. if something works and you can adequately apply it to your game, o'fuckin well.

6. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:ugh:

obviously youve never met the guy. he's a chill stoner, enjoys the spirit and culture of jiujitsu, and makes sound business decisions. he's not an arrogant asshole that thinks he's better than everyone.

7. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Thats well and good if its a good technique, but i feel in his book he took credit for moves that well... he didn't invent. Like he calls the shrimp escape from mount 'Guantanamo bay' his excuse that its just something to yell out in comps so the other team doesn't know what he is doing... Thats pretty retarded reasoning, why not just say 'come up with code words for things in comp' its not gonna work if everyone uses the same code wording... I feel its just his way to take basic moves like that and say they are his own.

8. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

[​IMG]

9. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Being arrogant is certainly the way he comes over in his book. I smoke pot as well, but still if i were to write a book about my bjj game (or lack thereof) even if pot did influence my game i certainly wouldn't go around advocating it in a book that is meant to be about bjj...

10. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

maybe you need to smoke some right now. relax holmes.

11. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Are you fucking nuts? In his book under every move description he makes sure to say who he learned it from

12. roose

roose Guest

Holy fuck.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: i take back everything bad i've ever said about you

13. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:hug:
    i dont take things personal on the internets.

14. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

Sounds like you don't know wtf you're talking about kroneX

15. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

im sorry but :ugh:

16. chechen

ive personally trained with eddie.. and he has some cool techniques. but its nothing thats going to change jiu jitsu in a big way, and its very much over emphasized with beginners. i rolled with 10-15 guys from his gym, including a couple brown belts. the truth is that nobody there does the rubber guard the way he does it. he's teaching something very specific to his body, and everyone else is trying to adopt it.

and yes his names for positions are very annoying

and beating a gracie doesnt automatically mean you stop competing. he's not injured. He knows what he's doing.. he wants everyone's last memory of him to be him beating royler so he can make money off of it for the rest of his life. Props to him for being a good businessman. but he definitely has a lot left to prove in the bjj world.

i dont mind people nuthugging marcelo garcia because he deserves every ounce of credit he gets. now THAT guy has nothing left to prove in jiu jitsu, yet he competes in it over and over with the best in the world.

Don't get me wrong.. not every instructor HAS to compete.. but the problem with Eddie not competing is that he is talking like his system is the next evolution in jiu jitsu.. when the first 10th planet advertisements came out joe rogan was saying "if you dont know his sh** you're fuc***" That's a very bold statement to be making. If you're going to be making claims like that, then you need to compete.

17. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

its a repost of a gif I posted an hour before :hsugh:

18. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

fuck you dawg. i invented that shit. :hsugh:

19. roose

roose Guest

:rofl: you're still a cunt

:mamoru:

20. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

So because Joe Rogan talked up Eddie Bravo, that means Eddie Bravo has to compete?

21. chechen

this was an advertisement for their academy. eddie was obviously aware of this advertisement. he doesnt have to say it himself directly in order to be responsible for it.

22. chechen

[y]4kmP980Rvug[/y]

watch from 4 minutes on

rogan: how many guys do you see making up moves.. a couple? how many do you see making as many as eddie makes up.. none! He's a revolutionary!

come on now. it's a little over the top to say the least

23. chechen

"people look at jiu jitsu differently now, they have to.. if you go against him and you dont know his sh** you're fuc***"

very :ugh:

who else in the jiu jitsu world has such a big mouth and doesn't compete? I don't even know any top jiu jitsu guys who talk like that about themselves or have their students talk like that about themselves..

once again, he has some great techniques, but its just WAY over emphasized with beginners for some reason.. If you go into his gym, the guys who started there tend to be straight up awful. The only decent people are guys who learned their fundamentals at a normal bjj academy beforehand.

24. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

does lloyd irvin still compete? :dunno:

25. chechen

he just competed recently, and won in the no gi worlds