SRS I think one of my co-supervisors is trying to weed me out

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mugwump, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

I just started at this company as an interior designer. The work and pay is gonna be great and I can't wait to get out of training. I have over 2 years of experience in this exact field and that's why they hired me. I have two main supervisors, who are both co-owners. It's a small company, so it kind of needs to be a happy family. Here's the problems...

My third, so far unofficial supervisor, who is the lead designer and was actually the only designer until I showed up along with someone else, is really hard on me. It's noticeable when all three of us sit together. She'll quiz me on something, and as I work towards the answer with a lengthy response, she'll interrupt and say "no that's not it" even though the final answer actually is. She's rude and condescending when I ask questions, acting as if my question confuses her, even though it doesn't confuse my co-worker, who actually chimes in and wonders the same thing, and generally tells me to forget about it and do it her way. Again, this is a sharp contrast from how she treats the other woman I work with.

I shadowed her on a design consultation and almost got fired the next day because the owner must've heard all the negative and none of the positive. He heard about how I used her calculator for a quick equation (OMG, I touched her calculator) and made a small comment to the client when I was sposed to be silent. He heard about how I wanted to be fulltime instead of parttime, yet the designer worded it as if I was resentful and competitive of everyone for not getting FT. He must've heard everything that I said to her that could've been construed as derogative to my job. And the worst part is, she's nice to in front of me most of the time. It's basically a trap where she gets down to earth and personal so I'll open up and then uses everything I say against me later, and it's fucked up.

I'm still at the company. I climbed out of the grave I dug with her and am on good standing with the owners. The problem is, I think she's gonna take whatever chance she can get to make me look bad to them. I'm completely on guard when I talk to her, to the point of being afraid of her. I shadowed her for the second time today and am honestly nervous about tomorrow. I asked her, after we said goodbye to the client, how I did and she looked confused and said fine, we'll talk about it later. I can only imagine what she might use against me this time. It's like she's not ready yet and is working her way into it.

Another problem is that she'll eventually be my boss. That's not cool, especially if she has any kind of pull with how many consults I get a week. She could easily phase me out. If I had kind of pull or neutral ground with the owners, I'd verbally put her in her place. I'd confront her about whatever bullshit she said to them. But I'm the new guy and I can't. Again, this is a small company, and tension like this wouldn't be good for the "family." The only decent argument I have with the owner is that, "If she's like this to the new hires, what's she gonna be like in the future to other new hires as this company grows?"

I need this job, but it's gonna be scary for the next week or two until I get out of training and am mostly on my own. The only thing someone said so far that seems logical is that she's intimidated by my outgoing confidence, which seems about right. I think she might consider me to be "competition" since I will be digging in to her visits.

Any advice? Right now, I'm completely on guard with her.

2. Teck

Teck WTF? OT Supporter

Is there anyway you can confront her about it? Express that you want to have a good working relationship with her but you feel as if there is some unknown tension between you two. Maybe she feels as if your a threat to her...?

3. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

I'm afraid she'll deny any kind of problem and construe this confrontation as some kind of conflict or intimidation on my part when she repeats what happens to the owner. Remember, I'm the new guy and the owner doesn't want any red flags going off with the new people with such a small company.

4. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:dunno: sounds like she views you as a threat. could it be possible that you're overly confident, and, even tho you're not trying, seem to act like you run the show? ;)

ie... you want to look productive, but it ends up looking like you just want to do everything. i guess you could call it taking initiative. i know that i've had problems with that in the past. :rolleyes: it sucks, especially since all you really want to do is show your co-workers and your boss that you're a great asset.

5. cowmanfred

cowmanfred New Member

You should talk to her about it, but you don't need to 'confront' her. If i were you i matter of factly ask if there's anything that bothers her about the way you operate. Kind of disguise it like your trying to find out how to do better. Either way she needs to know that her attitude toward you is making an impression, that way at least the fake interaction will stop... hopefully.
    :bigthumb:

6. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

How to head to work. We'll see how this goes. :noes:

7. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Yikes! They're putting so much pressure on me to be a good trainee, that I hope this isn't as stressful when I'm out on my own. I think they just want me to be perfect before they send me off, so as they don't fail in the process. It's odd, considering how laid back they usually are. Still high pressure though. If I can survive this week, I will make it. :noes:

8. teo

teo . => ? => !

Assuming you make it past your training stage and this woman becomes your supervisor, what level of interaction are you going to have with her in the future? Will she be signing off every job you do, or will you be managing yourself for the most part?

The only thing I can really think to say is that your self-respect should be worth more than any job. At the end of the day, it's not really worth working with a bitch. Hopefully you can give her enough rope to hang herself, without you needing to take any overt action. Worst-case scenario, document your communications with her where you can, because if she's trying to weed you out or portray you in an unfairly negative light to yout superiors and you are subsequently fired for it, you will need to back up your claims if you sue for unfair dismissal.

9. Achmiel

Achmiel Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshi

This could be a factor: are you male or female?

10. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Thanks.

I'll be pretty solo. How this job works is we're busy enough to take incoming calls that request an inhome consultation. Our coordinator takes the calls and disperses them among us. Dawn, being the lead, will get most of them, Julie will be second and I'll be third. I'm gonna try to get a guaranteed 2 per week minimum (part time). Dawn won't have much say in this unless she's in her office at the time or there's a discrency and she calls Shelly (coordinator). I don't think Dawn could have any pull over how many leads I get a week, but she could always work with Shelly and phase me out. Shelly is really nice, and I'd contact her if I felt something was wrong.

I'm a male, 26, blonde, blue, tall and good-looking. ...A threat to any older career woman! ;)

Today's shadowing with Dawn went pretty smooth. I kept a distance, asked a question or comment when necessary and basically "shadowed." My boss just informed me this would be my last week of training and I will start working-working next week. Three more days of survival... :noes: