I think my sub is broke.. suggest a new one?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ww_Crimson, Oct 16, 2007.

1. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I'll try and keep the story short and give you as many details as I can.

My entire car audio system is a T.M.A (total mobile audio, subdivision of JL Audio) setup from a "brick and mortar" shop (as the EDU calls it).

I have:

2 speakers in the front (I believe 6")
    2 speakers in the rear (6x9" I think).
    12" Subwoofer (I don't know the specs on it but I can find them online if they're needed)
    4 channel amp (specs here: http://tma.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=423 )

My headunit it a Pioneer 3900MP.

Everything has worked pretty well for the few months I've had it and overall I've been pretty satisfied with the sound. I expected a little more for what I paid but a lot of the costs were labor and materials (wiring harness / cables / box for the sub).

A few days ago I noticed my sub wasn't working so I spent some time trying to figure out what was wrong with it but I haven't came up with a solid conclusion yet. It works "when it wants to" which leads me to believe that it may have a short in it. I swapped the sub into my buddies car and it played fine for the few minutes it was in there so I'm not sure if it has a short or what. I thought maybe my amp was messed up and not providing enough power but I plugged in his box (2 12" Kicker subs) and it ran perfectly fine. The protect light on my amp hasn't flickered / gone on at all so I don't think it's an amp issue.

I have very little experience with audio equipment but I do know that the sub is capable of working, I'm just not sure why it's deciding to only work half of the time. If I very gently push on the center of the sub while it's running it will start to work but as soon as I take my hand off it stops. I've never opened up the box that the sub is in and I'm not even quite sure I'd know what to look for if I did.

At this point I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix my current problem, OR a good (and relatively cheap) sub I can put in the box to replace it with. Is it easy to swap different subs in and out of the box?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

either a burnt spot on the voice coil, or a wire in the box is loose. take it back to the shop and have them check it out.

3. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

could be a voice coil issue based on the pushing/it working part, but if it worked fine on another setup, i'd check ground and wiring issues on yours.. we talked on aim of the specifics