i think my power supply is making this high pitch noise...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Mar 19, 2005.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ok so today i just noticed that this high pitch noise is comin out of my comp. im pretty sure this didnt exist before because usually when i turn on my comp i am not bothered by any noise, but today i am. the noise also sounds like its droning somehow... like an oscillation. i googled some stuff and i think its my PSU. at first i thought it was my hard drives, so i unplugged them, and noise still there. then i thought it was the CPU fan. unplugged that one and noise still there. i dont think its comin out of the mobo itself, i dont see how or why that would be true (altho this is subjective). im almost sure that its the PSU. anyone can tell me why its doing it and how i can fix it? rite now its a 400W supply. not sure what brand/model. ill tell u when i open this thing again later, kinda tired rite now. if i have to buy a new one, what would u recommend? i got 2 hard drives, 2 cd/dvd roms, sound & vid card.

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

I'd also suspect the PSU, most likely some sort of capacitor/inductor ringing. Have you added any new hardware recently? I once had a PSU that didn't get along with a new harddrive. The PSU made a high-pitched squeal when the hard drive was attached to it. I swapped PSUs with another machine I had, and all was well after that. If you haven't introduced any new hardware, maybe it is a sign that the PSU is going bad.

3. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

yes actually i recently bought a sound card and a new set of RAM. hmmmm i didnt know PSUs could act like that

nice av :bigthumb:

4. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

wat is the diff between ATX and ATX12v? my current one is ATX12v? do i have to buy another ATX12v, or can i buy a regular ATX?