I think my power supply is dead.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 6Double5321, Oct 1, 2006.

1. 6Double5321

6Double5321 Into the blue again, after the money's gone

Okay...got home from work Friday night, computer was off. Odd; it was on when I left for work. Teh SO hadn't used it, so she couldn't have shut it down. I go to turn it on and...nothing. As if it were unplugged.

When I hit the power button the LEDs on my case fans flash briefly (less than a second), then nothing else. If I press it again, nothing happens at all. The power LED on the mobo stays lit continuously when the PS is on and connected. I checked all connections, plugged it into a different outlet on the surge protector, tried plugging straight into the wall, nothing.

I'm thinking the PS is toast, but I don't have a spare or a tester handy. Any ideas before I take it to the local mom-and-pop computer shop and hand them $40 to diagnose it?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Pull out the PS and take it to a shop...see if they'll test it...they might even do it for free.

3. BOTLD92Z

BOTLD92Z OT Supporter

Yeah my local place will test them for free. It does sound like a bad PSU though.

4. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Open up a paper clip and pull the plug on the motherboard plug(20 or 24 pins). Put one end of the paper clip in the hole with the green wire and the other end in a hole with a black wire. If the fan spins up, the power supply is probably good. If not, you're probably looking at a dead PSU.

5. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

I had a 450w die on me 3 weeks ago. I had to grab a 300w out of another case to get that server back online. That reminds me, I need to buy a 500W power supply.

6. 6Double5321

6Double5321 Into the blue again, after the money's gone

Thanks guys. I was looking to put in a new PSU anyway, as the one in question is a cheapie installed by the local mom/pop store. Supposedly 500W, and not even six months of use out of it. :mad:

7. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I was told long ago to buy switching power supply units. I dunno it means to be switching but I was told it's better. I've never had one go bad on me yet. *knockwood*