I think my MOBO is fried - Troubleshooting requested - Pix of Fried Chip :(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ichinichi, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Ichinichi

Ichinichi take dat blue pill

So I came home tonight, computer has been working fine for over 2 years.

Asus P4P800 E DELUXE
    P4 2.4 ghz

I started surfing the web, all of a sudden the computer shut down. I tried to rebot, the green light on the mobo was on, fans went on, hard drives turned on, but no video output. I thought my video card was screwed up, so I took that out completely, unhooked all the harddrives, and booted up with as few things as possible to see if the computer would POST.

It did the thing, turned on for a few seconds, fans spinning, no post and would shut itself down.

A few seconds after that I noticed a burnt smell and a chip started to burn up on the mobo, i immediately shut it down and haven't turned it on again.

Read up on some troubleshooting pages and i've heard of this happening if the PSU is fried and is sending improper power to the mobo.

My question is: with what you see below, should i even bother trying to fix the mobo, or is it guaranteed to be fried and i'll just move on and try a new PSU / Mobo combo.

[​IMG]

2. dokebi

dokebi Commentator

Definetely fried. I wouldnt trust your PSU either.

3. 7960

7960 New Member

if you don't know *why* it fried (and you don't) then I wouldn't trust any of it.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Psu's fail over time anyway, so you may as well put a new one
    with the new motherboard.

5. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

and unless you own a BGA machine which costs quite a few thousand dollars - I wouldn't even attempt to fix it. I'd replace the board and PSU...maybe the CPU as well.....

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Just replace the most obvious parts first. The motherboard is dead, obviously, and since all the power comes through the PSU, that should be replaced too. As for the suggestions that you replace half the shit in your case...

...remember that the motherboard is responsible for regulating power flow between components, and if there are no fried power transistors (big black things bent sideways and soldered to the board), or capacitors or resistors or diodes or triacs (wire coiled around plastic rings), then the only part that got fried is the part that LOOKS like it got fried.