I think my mobo is dead...?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by matt, Oct 13, 2003.

1. matt

matt Active Member

I start it, but it doesn't boot. There are no beeps either. I got it to boot once and some error came up and it said it was fixing it. I had never seen the error before. It was on a black background and had green and red text. Maybe some blue in there. It didn't say much about what it was doing.

Well it got half way through the boot sequence then stopped when it was detecting a pair of drives that I had disconnected. I couldn't get it to boot again after that time.

I reseated the ram, moved it around, and made sure everything was connected.

The power supply is good.

I thought I could clear the bios, but I can't find any jumpers on the board or in the manual.

It's a Gigabyte GA-7DXR+.

Anyone??

2. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

:dunno: could be your processor

3. matt

matt Active Member

Any way I could tell?

I left my comp off on Wednesday and tonight when I got back my mouse was still on (led was lit), but after I found out it wouldn't boot and all it never lit back up. I don't know what that would indicate if anything.

4. wtwhtalmh

wtwhtalmh Guest

If it was the processor the mobo would most likely give out warning beeps so you could know what was wrong. . .

Check the battery on the mobo. . . . like someone said. . . but if you can find someone with the same mobo maybe you could pull a lil bit of oa bios swap to get it booted then flash your's

5. matt

matt Active Member

I took it out, but I didn't have it out for long. I'll do it again, but for a minute or so and see if that does anything.

Took it out for a few minutes and it's still the same.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  6. MP

MP New Member

start taking stuff out,

like take out ram and boot up,

take out cpu and boot up

take out video card,

etc etc. It's all to narrow it down to what could be broken.

7. matt

matt Active Member

Wouldn't it beep though?

8. MP

MP New Member

that's what you want. Like if you take the ram out, it beeps, it's safe to say it's not the ram. Same goes if you take out the video card. another good idea is to start with nothing and one by one put in each thing, booting up everytime. if it doesn't boot up after installing a specific device then that narrows the problem down a little more. It's all a process of elimination.

9. matt

matt Active Member

But if the motherboard is bad it will never beep.

10. MP

MP New Member

I give up. Do what you want.

11. matt

matt Active Member

I have taken everything out and put them back. Nothing.

12. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I'm with Ludelover on this...

Matt, I'm not sure you're seeing where he's trying to go (maybe you are, but you're posts are not reflecting you understand the concept).

By pulling EVERYTHING out then booting the machine up you can test if its a component you pulled out or the motherboard. So... You pull everything out. You boot the machine up. The machine beeps. Motherboard is probably ok and its one of the hardware components you pulled out. If so, put one back in and boot up. Rinse and repeat until the machine does not boot AND does not beep. That component is probably the one causing the problems.

If you pull everything out AND the motherboard still does not beep, then yes, the motherboard is probably toast and it needs to be replaced...

Make sense? You'll have to kick it over to "trial and error" mode to narrow down the problem.

13. matt

matt Active Member

Thanks for the reply.

I've pulled everything (cards, memory, floppy, ide cables, and any other auxiliary device) save the CPU and fan and started it, but I got no beeps.

What I was asking though was even if everything was good except the motherboard, would it beep ever? I think not.

14. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

You need to pull the CPU out as well. From what you describe, the problem is either the CPU or the motherboard. Pull the CPU out and see if it beeps. If it does, its the CPU. If it doesn't, then its the motherboard.

Here's what you're missing regarding the beeping:

Motherboards, by design, beep an error code when video can not be displayed. Much like how the ECU in your car will blink a light when there's a malfunction. The car and ECU do not have a high res monitor to show you an English error message. And this is what motherboard manufactures incorporate in their boards when the there's a critical failure which may not be able to be displayed since the critical error may effect the ability to display content on a monitor (make sense?). So the beeping is the motherboard's way of telling you what the problem is (yes, there's a pattern to the beeps - but for right now you're concern is just with getting SOME beeps).

What will cause a motherboard to beep?

No RAM
    No CPU
    No video card
    (only one needs to be missing to trigger the beeping)

If the computer fails to boot up and there's no beeping, then there's a couple of possibilities. Its very possible a hardware component (RAM, CPU, or video card) has failed, but enough of it is working that the motherboard thinks its ok, but the component really is not working and therefore the boot fails. Its possible the on board speaker is toast (although rather rare). The other possibility is the motherboard.

I'm leaning towards your CPU being bad or the motherboard. You could swap out the motherboard, but if the CPU is bad, you could damage the new motherboard. You could swap out the CPU, but if the motherboard is bad, you could damage the new CPU. Pull the CPU out and see if the board beeps.

15. matt

matt Active Member

Took out the CPU and everything else. No beeps.

Thanks for the help.

16. matt

matt Active Member

Hm...I put a known good stick of memory in along with the CPU and I got it to flash my keyboard lights. It still does not beep though. :confused: I'm going to try and get a hold of a known good video card and see what happens.

17. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

If by "everything else" you mean everything - RAM, video card, CPU, etc and you still do not have any beeps, then yes, I think its safe to say your motherboard has issues and should be replaced.

18. matt

matt Active Member

Yep...everything. Just the motherboard and power.