I think my friend might be in over his head (gsxr750)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by fst89lx, Feb 23, 2005.

1. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Buddy of mine is getting ready to sign on his first street bike and as the title states he decided to go with a gsxr750... ~ 1 year experience on a dirtbike is all he has as far as bikes go.

he said QUOTE "I don't want to pussyfoot around with that 600(gixxer) but the 1000 is a little too much." :ugh2:

He also had the dealer put on a "power box" <-- I dont' know what it is, and a yosh carbonfiber pipe.

Now don't gimme the old "just respect it and you'll be fine" line, I can deal with that to a point but fuck man pretty much NO experience and he is starting out with a hopped up 750?! Either way, I don't think he'll make it through the summer before he puts it down :noes:

2. ryguy461

ryguy461 New Member

it sucks to be so hard headed.. i guess hes gonna have to learn the hard way

3. RaBicaN

RaBicaN New Member

haha nothing you can say to a squid...

4. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

Hope he doesn't dump the bike. Pussyfooting?-he must be an extraordinary rider.

5. Mischief

Mischief OT Supporter

some people have it natural, so you never know.

6. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

its not the smartest decision in the world.. but as long as he doesnt do anything stupid, he will be fine

7. walman7

walman7 "Did you hurl in my shoe?"

hmm maybe i shouldn't tell you guys i just bought a 98 honda superhawk as my first bike. I've had my license for a while but this is officially my own first bike. Wish me luck!!:x:

8. tommo

tommo New Member

Natural selection?

Bring in capacity restrictions already.

9. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

btw... by power box.. i think you mean power commander

10. GoodKnight

GoodKnight New Member

Meh, old enough to pay for a bike, old enough to make his own decisions. Just hope he doesn't die.

11. machine81

machine81 New Member

A buddy of mine has been riding since he was 4 years old. He was one of the people who convinced me to get a motorcycle when I was 21. In fact, he was the one who test drove my motorcycle before I bought it (it was a Yamaha 550 v-twin with shaft drive) and he basically taught me how to ride. Needless to say, I value his opinion highly (when it comes to motorcycles at least).

That same year he bought a new 2002 Gixxer 750.

Soon thereafter I was looking to buy a better bike. I was determined to get a 1000. I figured that if he could handle a 750 I could too and that I would soon be able to out-ride it. I told him that and he started to laugh. He said that every time he got on his 750 it scared him. If you didn't respect that thing every second it'd bite you. He said that he would never be able to ride that bike to its full ability.

The moral of the story, you're buddy could get lucky and never have a problem. But more that likely he's gonna get hurt. Hopefully it's just not life threatening. The sad thing is that you'll never be able to convince him of that.

12. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Although I like 600s better but my first sport bike was 1000. I was geting a hell of a deal so I went with it. its up to you, I mean you dont have to be stupid.

13. walman7

walman7 "Did you hurl in my shoe?"

yeah that was exactly the reason i got the superhawk as my first. I bought it from my buddy who wanted to trade me for something i was trying to get rid of so i only ended up paying like $1k cash for it so i couldn't say no....

14. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

The problem is that I don't think he knows how to respect a powerful machine like the 750.

For him, it WILL take a wreck to show him that he needs to be careful.

15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

true

16. TheLetterS

TheLetterS New Member

All I can say is to pray. If he thinks a GSXR600 is kids stuff, he has no understanding of bikes. Unfortunately for you, you may be witnessing social darwinism... :(

17. Carolyn

Carolyn Guest

IMO if your buddy rode his dirtbike at a track rather than trail riding, I wouldn't worry too much (as long as he keeps his limits on the GSXR in check).

Riding dirtbikes on a track is definatley a good prep for riding on the street but with any bike, you always ride within your limits :hsd:

Good luck to your buddy.

18. chakup

chakup Guest

a 600 is more than enough for 95% of people. And to say a 1k is too much then get the 750, that bike will get you just as quick. Light weight and plenty of power.

19. Carolyn

Carolyn Guest

If you learn throttle control and not to panic in hairy situations on dirt prior to riding the street you're much better off than a complete beginner to the street.

Dirt and street are way different but learning certain basic riding skills on a dirtbike is much easier than learning them on the streets with other cars around you. Landing my ass on dirt didn't hurt as much as the asphault :hsd:

20. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

He has never been on a real dirtbike track, just trails. He isn't that good, he hasn't once crashed his dirtbike, so he thinks he is god (I just tell him he isn't riding hard enough if he isn't wrecking, lol).

He is just "that" kind of guy, he is "just as good" on a dirtbike as I am because he can "keep up with me" on the trail (i can eat him alive in corners but he has more motor than me so he catches up)

:dunno: whatcha gonna do?

21. Carolyn

Carolyn Guest

Well damn fst89lx, I guess the stuff I said about riding dirt doesn't apply to your friend... :rofl: