SRS I think my friend is bipolar; what should I do?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dinger, Mar 7, 2005.

1. dinger

dinger Guest

We're both 23 years old right now and we've been like best friends since we were age 9. When he hit adolescence it became apparent that he started getting mood swings, except that they haven't really died off. That sort of thing is starting to affect his performance in school; he's rarely motivated to do his homework.

He always goes into bouts of depression, often after doing badly on an exam or experiencing something else that discourages him in life. That leads him to do worse in school. Sometimes I'll give him a motivational one-on-one talk, which will lead him to study really hard for a period of time. Then it's back to normal again. He seems to be emotionally fragile and easily affected by daily events in his life. Hardships in life get him down particularly easily. We started university at the same time but now he's two years behind me and getting further behind as each term goes along. Today he told me, only half jokingly, that he was ready to quit his program and become a plumber.

He's completely unfocused on school; he goes to class but sleeps through most of them, doesn't start assignments until they're almost due, and hardly studies for midterms. It's as if he's given up trying because he feels he does not have the ability to accomplish any better.

Both another one of our friends and I have told him that he might be bipolar; today I mentioned it to him that maybe he should get it checked out and he shrugged off the idea. I'd like to help him, but am afraid that insisting there's something wrong with him or further telling him that he's messed up might make the situation worse, especially given his emotional fragility.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to help him?

2. AliceIW

AliceIW Guest

This is a really tough situation. My best friend (who I've also know since 5th grade and we're both 21) is bipolar. The difference is that she knows it and I didn't have to convince her for help.

As far as I can tell, you've been doing a bang up job of being there for him as it is. Helping him out during times of depression and actually telling him he may have a disorder. People say this all the time in a joking manner, but the first stap to fixing a problem is admitting you have one. You can't do anything if he doesn't think anything is wrong. I suggest maybe seeing your doctor and asking what else you can do to help to help him maybe realize what you see is going on.

3. Happy Life

Happy Life Guest

I am in the same case as your friend.... It's very hard to manage this every days ...
    I can't explain it, but I am very sensitive to daily events... and one day I can be happy, and the other I can be very deprimed or angry.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I think he should try to accomplish small things which are easy to give him the reassurence that yes he CAN accomplish things, and forfill his American Dream so to speak. It might be not bi-polar, it could also be that the lvl that he is doing is just too high for him. You can only demand so and so much from a person. :sad2: but sadly society always keeps demanding for more. I believe however that you can't pluck an empty chicken and this guy seems to be at his lasts straws.

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

while i'm BP I won't discount the fact he might be, but I'm not sure.... he could have ADHD which also includes low self esteem, hyperfocusing and distractability.

he should see a psychologist who can sort everything out.

6. Britney Spears

Britney Spears New Member

Beverly Hillz, California *~ I LOVE FANMAIL! ~* Je
    HAHAHA. Not really laughing.

Bi-Polar? Run for your fucking life.

Not sure? He's not Bi-Polar.