i think my computers broken

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by n1ck54, Mar 22, 2006.

1. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

my monitor won't come off of standby. i can hear my computer turn on and it looks ok, but the monitor won't come on. when i unplug the monitor it comes off of standby to show a no signal screen, so i dont think thats the problem. all i've trioed is restarting the computer a few times, and it didnt help. anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem, or how to figure out if i even have a problem?

2. k2737

k2737 Active Member

Bad video card? Try another video card.

3. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

you think maybe my video card died? could be, and if it is that fucking blows. i dont have any extra cards laying around or even know how to install one, so maybe later this week ill take it into a computer repair store. fuck im broke i dont have the money for computer repairs :wtc:

any other ideas on what it could be?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  4. MR.6690

MR.6690 New Member

ya, most likely your video card. I had a card die on me an that is exactly what happened, monitor wouldn't come off standby because it wasn't receiving a signal from the video card.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Just to be sure, try reseting CMOS. Sometimes your BIOS just shits on itself and you have to do that. OF course try reseating your card and checking for power.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

:werd: I shit on myself sometimes too. I feel so embarassed, I don't want anybody to see me either. I totally sympathise with your BIOS.

7. n1ck54

n1ck54 New Member

how do i blindly reset a CMOS? and by reseat the video card do you just mean take it out and put it back in?

also, my friend cant play any video games because he "doesnt have a video card" after it broke, but his computer still works. does he just have a really shitty onboard card, or is it possible to get my computer working without getting a new card?

:o sorry im no computer expert

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you have an onboard video card AND an add-on video card, the BIOS might be confused about which one to use. Before you start taking things apart, hook your screen up to the onboard video card and see if you get a picture that way.

All onboard video cards are some kind of shitty, because the companies that make them also make the add-on video cards and they don't want to sell you something so good that you won't want to upgrade it eventually.

You reset the CMOS by digging out your computer manual, finding the page that tells you where all the jumpers are, and flipping the jumper that resets the CMOS for a few seconds before putting it back to normal. The computer has to be off and unplugged for this to work.

9. keleko

keleko yes, he is

push a button or two on the monitor itself, see if you get an onscreen display of the menu

if not, the monitor is the dead item here

otherwise follow post #8