LGBT I think modern western fears of homosexuallity have messed up masculinity

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Creator, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

Im gonna have trouble explaining this idea, mostly due to the catch22 nature of it.... But it seems 'gay' to do so many things in todays age. Like last months GQ when they talked about how guys rarly make new friends once they graduate besides co-workers and people to talk about sports with. I think thats so stupid. I dunno, I guess i am just trying to be the strongest heterosexual male, mentally, that i can be and what is that? Women have all their self help bullshit... i introspect a lot and am lucky that I am smart enough about a lot of these issues to process my most of my 'stuff' internally. But theres some deeper things that I have yet to discover... i have no clue what, but Im hoping there is something that can help. Sorry if this is incorehent bable, its not a fully formulated thought. Hoping someone else knows what im talking about and can comment

2. mymail5082

mymail5082 Banned

i read the same article, and it got me to thinking too, but i don't think homophobia has much to do with it. its always seemed to me that guys grow up, get jobs, get married, have kids and the combo of work and family becomes pretty much their entire existence until death. i don't know if thats the way it really is, but its gotten me pretty damn scared of graduation. i know it'll still be a while before that happens, but i'm not sure if i'll ever do want that.

3. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

Your post has me confused, but I will address this one sentence, why do you feel that you have to try to be the strongest heterosexual male? Why can't you just *be* who you truly are without trying to *be*....something? I guess I don't understand that concept?

4. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I think we are all trying to be something. I'm trying to be the best person I can be too. This is why I'm about to get my second masters degree and I strive so hard at work to be a good engineer.

It's good to strive to be the best person you can be.

To Nick's point, though. I guess I don't see "fears of homosexuality" in my everyday life as the men who fear homosexuals tend to stay away from me. So, I don't know them at all.

So, the male friends I have do not have that fear at all. So, I guess I can't comment on this issue because a) I have not read the article, and b) I have no personal experience to draw from.

5. Creator

My points are a bit cluttered and there is more than one I am trying to address. I cant really put my finger on them all to describe them, and as i said inthe begining they werent going to come out well. Its not just the making friends past college thing that has me worried... its something deeper about how society represses us, trying to be the best men we can be.

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

That's the first thing that came across my mind as well.

Why try and be the strongest (mentally) hetero male? What are you attempting to accomplish other then alienating those that aren't as "strong" as you? As Nova said, Why can't you just *be* YOU?

I've moved past worrying and thinking about being a "strong" hetero male and convincing people the same. Be yourself.. Act the way you want to act, let people perceive you naturally...

I agree with Sam - We are always trying to be something.. it just seems that there are more important things to try and be?

7. Creator

I think you guys misunderstand my heterosexual comment... i was thinking more about this today and I think what im trying to say is that women are able to be very open about there sexuality but men are not. I think a lot of straight guys go through a lot of simialr thigns, but must do so alone in fear of being thought of as gay. Does that make any sense? I feel like there needs to be a book about men or some shit... im having a horrible time explaining this

8. coma

coma New Member

Yeah you see het girls everyday hugging other women and calling them their girlfriends, but you never ever see het guys hugging their guy friends and refering to them as their boyfriends in conversation...an enduring double standard. Hell, even if a guy hugs a girl (not his gf) his masculinity is in question bc guys are not supposed to be touchy-feely. Damn society...:squint:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  9. DatacomGuy

I understand better, and yes, unfortunately society does kind of paint our future in that sense..

10. Creator

I guess that is part of it, but there is something deeper that im trying to figure out here... something to do with being a man, just not sure what exactly.

11. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

meh :ugh2:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  12. DatacomGuy

Yeah, somehow I don't think that's what he meant.

13. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

cliffs of the article?

14. Creator

Hehe, yeah not at all.

15. DatacomGuy