A&P i think i've figured out my camera woes...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dmora, Dec 4, 2004.

1. dmora

dmora Guest

It seems all my shots are stopped up too wide. Looking at all my pix, they seem to be the fastest i can set the lens, and i have no idea why. I suspect it might be because im afraid of lowering the shutter speed and getting under exposed images. I guess i should really just play with it more. And maybe take a god damn photography class so i can understand what im doing. :p

I just dont want to waste money to buy a film camera when i've already invested a lot in digital. :rant2:

2. mojito

mojito New Member

a tripod and cable release are your friend, also learn the mirror lock up feature and self timer, those will help wil camera shake. Generally the sharpest point on a lens is 2 stops from wide open. Also, stopping down as far as you can go isn't going to make your image sharper, in fact it'll worsen. Becuase of the aperature blades, its almost impossible to get a tact sharp image after F/16

3. widebaudi

widebaudi New Member

what mode are you shooting in?

4. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

Tripod and cable release aren't the solution to his problem.

The D70 doesn't have mirror lockup, nor does he really need it.

Most lenses are not at peak performance wide-open, especially wide angles or wide-angle zooms. The D70's kit lens like most wide-angle zooms does have a bit of light falloff when shot at 18mm and wide-open. This goes away when stopped down to around f/5.6 or smaller.

Yes, diffraction can occur with some lenses when stopping down beyond f/16, but this has more to do with lens design. Some lenses will keep going and designed for this, especially macro lenses. (note, I have no idea why some folks think they should shoot wide open all the time, especially for macro shots. There are other ways to achieve selective focus.)

:mamoru:

5. mojito

mojito New Member

if he's not getting enough shutter speed and is shooting wide open than it can be the answer. if he's shooting wide open with a 1/500 shutter speed than that would be different.

yeah he can bump up the iso and do other things, but tripods are you're best friend.

The D70 doesn't have a miror lockup? Way to go Nikon

6. hash browns

If he's taking pictures of cars, tripod->why not?

Mirror lockup ? No the D70 doesn't have it. But it also lacks mirror slap.

No offense, like with dmora's recent car picture,
    in the context of what he's doing, those are all the wrong answers.

7. dmora

dmora Guest

i'm shooting in full manual. I was being rushed on the car pix too, i suspect i coulda done better had i more time.

But i apprieciate all the info.

:wavey:

8. hash browns

Dmora, if you haven't experimented already, I suggest you play around with Aperture priority mode, Shutter priority mode and see how they relate to Manual mode, the light meter and exposure compensation.

9. dmora

dmora Guest

yea, i've been trying to shoot in manual fully to force me to learn. :x: